New Gear for this Year

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
John Harper
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: New Gear for this Year

Post by John Harper »

New UnderArmour Baselayer Crew 3.0 top and some Wetsox 2.5mm wading socks. I could not find any hip or pant waders (without custom ordered Simms for $600! :eek: ) that the neoprene booty was the least bit comfortable for my size 8 feet, all too damn big with too much excess material. I rarely wade past my knees so these wader socks are 2.5mm neoprene and come up over the calf. I don't get that bothered by cold water as I surf fish all winter, so all I really need is some minor insulation for crossing sides while fishing. Hopefully they work as I hope.

John
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Two new Platypus 2-L jugs, new knee high gaiters (my third pair of Rocky Mountain High's) and enough butane cans to last the summer. I desperately need new shoes, but internet buying seldom works for me. I am waiting for stores to open for that. Looked at the REI Memorial Day Sale, but could not get motivated to buy anything. I have been re-packaging food so now have enough for about 20 days, barring a few items. Now that bulk food bins are not available at WINCO, I cannot find any dried re-fried beans and although limited, they are out of their FD #10 cans of food. Internet prices are ridiculous. Also have all those little hygiene items packed up.

My husband is getting me a PLB, but I am torn between the In-Reach mini or regular (Explorer?). I do not carry a phone with me, so am not sure I could get by with the mini.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Got a Nemo Hornet 1P to replace my 10 year old Big Agnes Seedhouse 2P tent. 3 1/2 lbs to 1 1/2 pounds. I'll see how it holds up.

Packit Gourmet raised its prices enormously with Covid, so I am trying out an assortment of Hawk Vittles and Good-to-Go, two brands I have never tried. Hoping I will like them.

Still mulling over a sleeping bag replacement. That will probably come next year. I just could not make up my mind.
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

kpeter wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:00 pm Packit Gourmet raised its prices enormously with Covid, so I am trying out an assortment of Hawk Vittles and Good-to-Go, two brands I have never tried. Hoping I will like them.
I tried Hawk Vittles, was not a fan at all. Perhaps I prepared them wrong, as I recall, the instructions were rather imprecise. I don't think there was a set quantity of water to be added, just kind of "fill up the bag" and with a flexible bag, measure can be widely different. Good luck, I hope your experience will be better. I did notice prices of backpacking foods up quite a bit on Ebay too.

John
neil d
Topix Regular

Post by neil d »

I've some new stuff I've been trying out on local bikepacking trips. Luckily that activity dovetails perfectly with Sierra backpacking in terms of gear.

- Sawyer Squeeze paired with a 2L CNOC water bag. Got the threaded attachment that mates directly to SmartWater bottles, and love the quickness of deployment and small form factor. Can still be run as a gravity system too! This replaces my 2L Platy gravity system, which still works great.

- SMD Lunar Solo (28 oz with carbon pole!) to augment my still-great TT Double Rainbow (46 oz). Pretty excited about this one, weight-wise. The SMD is def more fiddly and less adverse-weather-proof than the TT, but will be great for Sierra summer.

- Vargo Bot 1L pot mated with an old Trail Designs cone and alcohol stove. Turns out this is a great alky stove setup! Still primarily an iso man for most trips, but it is a fun diversion for day trips and bike overnights.

If I only bring Tenkara fishing gear I think I can get my kit for a 2-3 night trip (no bear can) into my GG Kumo pack, which gets me a 'big three' weight of under six pounds. Pretty excited about that!

Other than that, just need to start dehydrating some meals on the ol' dehydrator, and should be good to go! No big trips this year...currently looking at Deso in late July, and Lost Coast in September. Will infill with lots of short trips. During COVID, I've been finding and trying out some great stealth camps in the American River canyons.
oddtiger
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by oddtiger »

I've got a used MLD Supermid for my family trip to WInd River Range in August. Will take 5yo, 7yo and my dog for a 30mi loop. Every oz counts as I have to carry a lot...
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

Despite really liking my Hanchor Marl backpack ('18 version), I just couldn't pass up on trying Seek Outside's new Flight pack. I've only had it out on a few neighborhood walks and 1 winter overnight trip, but the hype is real. It supports a 25-40 lbs load comfortably and reminds me of an '07 Osprey Aether with the perimeter frame, but better due to the shaping of the frame, harness, and hip belt. I'd like to see some refinements to the pack (e.g. pockets, webbing length, top closure), but it feels really good.

I also picked up some new pants because my Marmot Arch Rocks are a bit loose (yay! weight loss) and they're starting to thin in the knees. I decided on Patagonia's Quandary pants, which are nice and light with a relatively slim fit, but I do worry about durability. Time will tell.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

New tent this year. Exped Mira 1.

Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Picked up a couple of these REI Flexlite Air chairs and tried them out on a trip this past week.

Seems like an unnecessary luxury, and is certainly not for everyone. But at 1 lb each, well worth the weight if your backpacking style includes lots of lounging/reading at or near camp.

rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

kind of looks unstable.. Especially after a cocktail. :)
I do admit a chair is very nice at the end of the day though.. REI has that luxury star gazer as well, but pricey..