What to do with two old packs

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: What to do with two old packs

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Wow! they are expensive. Not sure I would get the stability in a flip-flop, but for people who are used to flip-flops they look like a good solution. If the crossing is serious I wade in my hiking shoes, minus the insole. After a few barefoot crossings, I decided that is NOT for me. But thanks for the link.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

When I wrote: My only complaint re. the Granite pack is that the capacity of the "floating lid" is too low. Big floating lids are an essential feature for a small backpack because it allows us to convert it into a large capacity pack with no added weight.
I meant that the 4 holding straps for the lid don't extend as high as I like. The inside of the lid capacity is fine, I just like to have the option of strapping the tents, excess gear, and sometimes the bear-can under the lid. I could add strap length, but so far, I have just added 2 side straps, which work fine.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

Hey WD, I am interested in the Bergan's of Norway 55 pack. I found a selection of them for seemingly very good prices- as low as $133. + $12 shipping. Can you tell me if the empty gray one in the middle of the picture, sold by "Mercari," is the right one? Here is the link:

Bergen's of Norway 55 L backpack

If you search that, you'll see a line up of these packs. The one sold by a private person-- "Mercari," is new and cheapest, but is it the new, lightweight version-- 2.6 lds.? I had trouble contacting the seller. New, they cost around $250. I would love to have a pack that hugs the body better than the Granite, and that fits the bear-can more easily.

If you have he time check it out, if not for me, maybe someone else is interested in it. Thanks Nancy.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.