What to do with two old packs

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

What to do with two old packs

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have two well used packs. They essentially weigh the same- 2lb 3 oz. The Bergen's of Norway 55 L pack is significantly more comfortable than the Granite Gear Crown Victoria 60L pack-which unbelievably, has a smaller top bag circumference, making the bear can a very tight fit which has worn holes where the bear can rubs. The back of the pack is hard as a rock and rubs me raw. The Bergen's pack hip belt attaching stitching has blown out, but it has a well fitting plush side next to my back. But I prefer the Granite Gear removable lid- it is also larger. The Bergen's pack bag is not worn out where the bear can sits. The GG has hip belt pockets; the Bergen's does not. As handy as the pockets are, they get in my way when using trekking poles.

So, with a few stitches, I put the attachment clips from the GG lid onto the Bergan's pack, fixed the blown out stitches so now I have be best of both packs in one weird looking pack. (I will add a picture when I get it packed for my next trip). I can always put things back where the started, if needed.

So the saga of finding the perfect pack continues. I will have to bite the bullet and find a new pack next year.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Re: What to do with two old packs

Post by gary c. »

Making lemonade out of lemons
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
OutdoorRandy
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by OutdoorRandy »

I know that there are a lot of choices but I've been very happy with my Gossamer Gear Mariposa. 60L, a bit less than 2 Lbs and holds a Bear Vault 500.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

Zpacks.
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by michaelzim »

Daisy
When you say "making the bear can a very tight fit" what kind of can are you referring to? A BV-500 or a Bearikade Weekender?
I went through trying nearly a dozen new backpacks as had the same disbelief at how uncomfortable and ill-designed the GG Crown 60 was, etc. It had been my first choice on paper until I tried one. Ughhhhhh...my back felt raw just hauling it around my house!

To cut a long story short, I ended up with a ULA Catalyst and so far (but with only mini trial as have not got out for a decent trip yet) I am very happy with it - for comfort and fit in particular. Wish it had an top though. The hip belt pockets do not seem to be as much of an obstacle as on other packs I tried with them, yet they are big enough to actually be useful - like my larger point-and-shoot camera in the case fits easily with room to spare.
It fits the BV-500 very nicely horizontally, and the Weekender too but the latter is better vertically if want to have no chafing potential. It is a bit heavier than you would want at 3 pounds, but was still half the weight of my prior pack. The ULA Circuit at 68 L is same weight as your other 2 packs and may be worth looking at or "adjusting" through ULA or self customizing.
ULA was super, super helpful. Did some adjustments for me and were a pleasure to deal with.

Will report back on my Catalyst in more real life field detail once I try it on a long trip when the weather warms up and the mosquitoes buzz off.

Best ~ Michaelzim
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

My problem is being small. I have a Bearikade Weekender. Unfortunately a lot of packs that work in larger sizes do not work in small sizes. Some brands do not even offer a woman's small. I currently use women's medium even if it is not the right size, just to get the needed capacity. As bear cans become more widely used, I hope the manufacturers will start to consider them when designing their packs. It is amazing how just one tiny inch more in pack circumference allows both my bear can and tent poles to fit across horizontally.

Another problem is that most of my gear, although high quality, is a bit old so more bulky than the newer gear. My WM Antelope sleeping bag is bulky (750 down) compared to the new model, but it is still very usable and I am not about to buy a $800 so I can use a smaller backpack.

And I still have my remade Kelty external frame if I really need capacity. Honestly, the old Kelty is by far the more comfortable for heavy loads.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

My zpacks swallows the 18lb Bearikade Expedition pill just fine.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

donate them to a scout club.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Right now I am still using them! Just combined the best of both.

I do donate my unused packs to the Scouts. Now I have to figure out what to do with a ton of climbing gear. Between my husband and myself, we have three entire racks of gear- cams, biners, ropes, everything. They have been sitting in deep dark closets for five years now.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Worse, what do I do with 1000 feet of rope?