Color coordinated gear

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Color coordinated gear

Post by markskor »

For want of any logical reason, serendipity...a long history perhaps...most of my backpacking gear is red:
Chili-red Gregory, Yak-pak, vest, NF jacket, wool socks, laces...whatever
One hiking buddy likes all black...fleece...pants...gortex.
Am I odd or have others here also selected a preferred backwoods color scheme?
In the wilderness, what color are you...if any?
Mountainman who swims with trout
Matilda
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Matilda »

Unfortunately my gear is all over the color spectrum--an Easter egg on acid. I realized this today while getting things ready for a quick trip out to Fish Creek on Monday. My pack's gray and black--ok. But once in camp, it gets messy: a sage and white tent, a red and black bag, a hot pink "ladies" ultralight thermarest that I shove into a purple camp chair frame. I'll be wearing a blue top to match incredibly ugly but comfortable blue and orange Brooks trailrunners.
I probably should be banned from the backcountry, or at least be given a makeover. But what's with the gear companies and these colors? Do they think I need a pink sleeping pad to prove my femininity??
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

I think whatever works for me is whatever happens to be on sale when I'm looking for something. My current backcountry stuff is reasonably color coordinated, but totally unintentional: off white N Face shirt, light tan REI pants, white hat with back sun shade, Lt gray Sierra Designs lightweight breathable rain jacket, plus a black REI pack (black goes with anything).
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

My stuff is whatever color the manufacturer sees fit to use. My Golite pants are ugly but they were on sale. Gotta go, the fashion police are out looking for me again.
Piece of cake.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

I've always had a sort of manic-depressive cryptic-loud dilemma. Mostly I like to be inconspicuous, so I choose browns, forest greens, khakis, and so on. But my ski gear and rain gear are usually pretty bright reds and yellows, and every now and then I get something to wear hiking that's really bright. But frankly, I've never found it objectionable when I run across a brightly colored tent or a hiker dressed in bright colors, so I'm not sure what being "inconspicuous" really buys me... In fact, it's always kind of fun to look over a steep set of switchbacks and pick out the brightly colored hikers spread out on the route.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

This issue has been discussed at outdoor suppliers and manufacturers conventions for years.

The LNT purists have been asking for more muted colors, while the manufacturers argue they offer muted colors, but the public buys bright colors. Both sides have good arguments.

I am a muted color guy, myself. With a few items of bright day-glo orange in case I need visibility (lost, hunting season, etc).
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Randonnee
Founding Member

Post by Randonnee »

Presently I have a mixture of colors.

When I was doing a lot of climbing every member of the group I climbed with had a different color so that from a distance we knew who it was. Now that I am on my own the choice is what ever color is available when I buy gear.

The muted colors are nice when viewing of photographing animals. The blend in and you can get closer to the subject. However there is a lot to be said for the bright colors, as they can be seen from a distance and in an emergency this could make the difference between life and death! I think this should be considered when selecting outdoor gear.

H
"The distinguishing mark of true adventures, is that it is often no fun at all while they are actually happening." ? Kim Stanley Robinson
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

black and white with a little pink.... I can't help myself - it's the ballet dancer in me ;)! Oh, except for my poncho... I may have to make one to match :D
wingding

Post by wingding »

Buying gear on sale means getting things in whatever color is available for me.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

wingding wrote:Buying gear on sale means getting things in whatever color is available for me.
Yup. That's the way I got my (now worn out) day-glow fluorescent bright loud (am I making my point?) extremely organge ski pants. Used to get comments from lift operators like, "how long do the batteries last on those things?" Sheesh... Effective Goretex, though, and from Sierra Trading Post around 10% of what I'd pay normally. But nobody had to to look for me long on the slopes. Once, they even got me found after my ski class had lost me...