Sleeping Bag Question for Pine Creek Pass

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Marinpaul
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Sleeping Bag Question for Pine Creek Pass

Post by Marinpaul »

I am heading up Pine Creek pass for the first time to explore/fish the lakes in that area mid-August. Based on the NOAA weather reports right now showing lows in the mid 40's for that area (and assuming it will be similar in a month), I am thinking I may be able to take my smaller pack and my 30 degree bag with a light puffy for sleeping as needed. Is that realistic for this area, or should I take my 15 degree bag? Thanks for the help in advance.
no2haven
Topix Acquainted

Re: Sleeping Bag Question for Pine Creek Pass

Post by no2haven »

Take this weekend's forecast temps with a grain of salt, since NOAA also has a statement out about record heat this weekend for the Sierra...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

are you taking a tent or not?

Sent from my Vogon Constructor fleet from space. (Sorry couldn't resist)
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

rlown wrote:are you taking a tent or not?

Sent from my Vogon Constructor fleet from space. (Sorry couldn't resist)
Vogon Constructor fleet!!! :)

Paul, I would recommend taking a tent. I was in the region last week and one night it rained ALL NIGHT! The weather service is calling for thunderstorms.

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I only asked about the tent because that would give an idea about protection from the elements (wind, rain, etc). I also recommend a tent. I'd take your 15 degree bag anyway and just not zip it up. using it more like a quilt.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Would recommend taking the 15 degree bag also. Weather can always
change, and it is always better to be a little warm than be up all night
trying to get warm.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
flyfisher70
Topix Acquainted

Post by flyfisher70 »

I'd recommend you take a tent as well. I was up at just over 11'000 feet in the GTW in early July, the weather was constantly changing. It went form hot to cold in minutes, from sunny to rain as well. Three of the nights out I used a 25º bag as a quilt and kept removing and then covering up because it was so warm out. The last night it cooled down so much at night that I actually had to zip up the bag to keep warm cause of the temperature drop. Expect the unexpected in the Sierras, weather is constantly changing.
Marinpaul
Topix Acquainted

Post by Marinpaul »

Thanks, all. I will be in a tent, but the clear consensus is to take the 15 degree bag even in a tent.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

Marinpaul wrote:Thanks, all. I will be in a tent, but the clear consensus is to take the 15 degree bag even in a tent.
I would take my lighter bag in this situation.

But I'm not you. Since you need to ask the question the prudent thing is to be conservative.
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

If weight is the biggest concern, is a 30 degree bag that much lighter than a 15? If you're talking down, I'd guess that isn't more than a few ounces. I have to agree with the consensus of replies and say go with the 15. It's better to err on the side of a good and warm night's sleep than to save a few ounces of weight.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;