backpacker parking Reds Meadow Shuttle?

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

backpacker parking Reds Meadow Shuttle?

Post by SSSdave »

Noticed website wording has changed for the Reds Meadow Shuttle from Mammoth Mtn. In the past backpackers have been allowed to drive down to trailheads after hours and park. However if they drove out later during operating hours would pay the $7 or whatever at the Minaret Summit kiosk. Now below states "Backpackers must use the shuttle system." but then lower ambiguously states "Arrive outside of shuttle bus operating hours or seasons."

My guess is there is no change in actual policy and this is just a way to further discourage driving down to those areas. In particular the Devils Postpile parking has been so crowded that they created that unpleasant overflow lot about 3/10 miles away. Agnew Meadows is usually easy to park at. Additionally day hikers and river fishermen that drive down before 7am sometimes clog up the road driving around down there. Also they lose some revenues from backpackers that both drive in and out after hours however that would to be trivial except to demented beancounters. My own interest is that I often start backpacking trips by evening night hiking on the day I drive out from the SF Bay Area in order to move up trails strategically. Someone might call up the Inyo NF Mammoth Visitor Center and ask for a confidential clarification.

Snippet from below:

http://www.nps.gov/depo/planyourvisit/r ... mation.htm

EXCEPTIONS TO THE SHUTTLE BUS
The following exceptions may drive into the valley. Visitors who:
Arrive before 7:00 a.m. or after 7:00 p.m.

•Are staying overnight at the Reds Meadow Resort or at any designated campground in the valley. Backpackers must use the shuttle system.
•Have a cartop boat or inflated float tube for use on valley lakes (there are no boat launches in the valley)
•Are towing a livestock trailer and intend to use livestock on valley trails.
•Display a handicap placard or plates.
•Hunters transporting weapons or game.
Arrive outside of shuttle bus operating hours or seasons.

The actual transit site says little and the INF site just references the transit site:

http://www.estransit.com/CMS/content/reds-meadow
tim
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: backpacker parking Reds Meadow Shuttle?

Post by tim »

I don't think the change is recent. The "backpackers must use shuttle" is directed to the previous sentence about camping in the valley being an exception: if you camp at a designated site you can drive, if you camp in the wilderness then you can't.
I assume they had some backpackers arguing at the entrance station that they were camping so they should be allowed through...
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: backpacker parking Reds Meadow Shuttle?

Post by maverick »

Same policy Dave, you can drive down to Agnew outside of the regular hours, but must use the shuttle during regular hours.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org