Horseshoe Meadows Road opening dates?

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
psykokid
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Horseshoe Meadows Road opening dates?

Post by psykokid »

Earlier in the year when doing some research I was putting together a spreadsheet of the opening dates for Horseshoe Meadows Road. Going back to 2005 I have found about half the dates by searching here and there on the web. I'm still lacking dates for 2005-07, 2010 & 2014. Any help filling in the blanks would be greatly appreciated, just trying to get some averages as to when the road opens..

The reason being - I want to take the boys in my son's scout troop up to Cottonwood Lakes as an easy overnighter the weekend before Memorial Day. A bit early in the season, but it's what I have to work with. Trying to get them to broaden their horizons and think outside the immediate LA area.
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Horseshoe Meadows Road opening dates?

Post by paul »

have you contacted the outfit that runs the pack station up there? they might have dates .
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Folks from the Whitney zone site should be able to help also.
http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Inyo County Road Department District 4 (Lone Pine) is responsible for clearing that road, their goal every year is to have it opened by the last Friday in April. If you need specific dates, Dale at 760-876-4664 may be able to assist you in this.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

Actually the last Friday in April is generally a good guess for many of the East side access roads. Why? Opening day of the trout season. Fishermen have more economic clout than backpackers in the Owens valley. 168 is usually open to Sabrina or at least the North Lake road junction on that date, for instance; likewise 120 from the east up to the the gate at the pass. Planning backcountry ski trips over the years I have learned to make that my target date to start my annual week-long trip. Of course special circumstances will make a difference, but the county road departments are always targeting that date.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Actually the last Friday in April is generally a good guess for many of the East side access roads. Why? Opening day of the trout season.
Exactly
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
joshuacourter
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by joshuacourter »

psykokid wrote:...I'm still lacking dates for 2005-07, 2010 & 2014. Any help filling in the blanks would be greatly appreciated, just trying to get some averages as to when the road opens..
The date I have for the opening of Horseshoe Meadow Road in 2014 was May 5. (https://goldentroutwilderness.wordpress ... e-opening/). Hope that helps. It may have opened a day or two earlier than the post, but again hopefully that works for you.