Red's Meadow Road 6/18

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Red's Meadow Road 6/18

Post by maverick »

The Reds Meadow Road will open on Saturday, June 18th at 7:00 am.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Red's Meadow Road 6/18

Post by gary c. »

I thought it was already open. We have plans of going down there Saturday morning. I guess I got lucky.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Red's Meadow Road 6/18

Post by maverick »

Inyo NF:

Reds Meadow Road to Open this Weekend

The Reds Meadow Road will open on Saturday, June 18th at 7:00 am. With a snow pack closer to average conditions, the seasonal opening date for 2016 is closer to an average opening date. In the past few years, the Reds Meadow Valley has opened at unusually early dates due to warm and dry conditions.

The Reds Meadow area is a popular recreation destination for visitors and locals alike and provides access to the Devils Postpile National Monument, trailheads that access the John Muir Trail and destinations such as Agnew Meadow, Thousand Island Lakes, Rainbow Falls, and the Minarets. Fishing, camping, horseback riding, and the Reds Meadow Resort are also popular with visitors.

Employees with the Inyo National Forest and Devils Postpile National Monument have been working to clear snow and trees from roads, trails, and campgrounds as well as repairing potholes, and ensuring that water and sewer systems are in working order. The high level of tree mortality that the Mammoth Lakes area is experiencing is complicating the road opening process as numerous hazard trees have been removed along the road corridor and in campgrounds.

The Devils Postpile National Monument opens with the road. Potable water and flush toilets will be available in Reds Meadow. Potable water may not be available in Devils Postpile, but is anticipated to be available in the near future.

The mandatory Reds Meadow Shuttle Bus, operated by the Eastern Sierra Transit Authority, will run daily starting on June 18th. Only exception vehicles will be allowed to drive into the Reds Meadow Valley.

The Fern/Beck Trailhead will remain closed while necessary maintenance and repairs are completed. Overnight hikers can use the Devils Postpile Trailhead instead and overnight parking permits will be available at the Devils Postpile Ranger Station for permit holders.

The roads in the Reds Meadow Valley are narrow and visibility is limited. All vehicles should use caution on both the Reds Meadow and Devils Postpile roads. For more information about Devils Postpile National Monument, visit nps.gov/depo, or contact Devils Postpile at 760-934-2289 or at depo_visitor_information@nps.gov.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org