Isberg trailhead - drivable?

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
lvray
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Isberg trailhead - drivable?

Post by lvray »

I have a permit to leave from the Isberg trailhead later this week. Is the Beasore rd drivable with a standard front wheel drive car to the trailhead? We would be leaving from Oakhurst and headed up past Bass Lake. I have called the FS and haven't gotten different answers. Any help/insight would be appreciated.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Re: Isberg trailhead - drivable?

Post by balzaccom »

We drove to Granite Creek and Fernandez trailheads without much trouble. We have a 2wd Escape, but this was a well-graded gravel road. Drive slow--recommendation is ten miles an hour. And when you do that, you will see any big bumps coming your way. You will also have plenty of time to consider choosing a trailhead that is closer to the highway next time. grin.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

We drove to Granite Creek and Fernandez trailheads without much trouble. We have a 2wd Escape, but this was a well-graded gravel road. Drive slow--recommendation is ten miles an hour. And when you do that, you will see any big bumps coming your way. You will also have plenty of time to consider choosing a trailhead that is closer to the highway next time. grin.
Done it in my Honda Civic with no problems.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
lvray
Topix Acquainted

Post by lvray »

balzaccom wrote:We drove to Granite Creek and Fernandez trailheads without much trouble. We have a 2wd Escape, but this was a well-graded gravel road. Drive slow--recommendation is ten miles an hour. And when you do that, you will see any big bumps coming your way. You will also have plenty of time to consider choosing a trailhead that is closer to the highway next time. grin.
Thank you. We have a 4x4 too, just don't want to waste the extra gas driving it there from Vegas if we don't have to. I don't care about bumps, the car has 200,000+ miles on it. I care about mud and high centering.
lvray
Topix Acquainted

Post by lvray »

maverick wrote:
Done it in my Honda Civic with no problems.

Thank you. Did you go all the way to the Isberg trailhed? Or just the closer ones?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Granite Creek

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Here are some detailed driving directions with waypoints, Granite Creek is the last section: http://www.climber.org/DrivingDirections/chiquito.html

wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

There are two ways to get the trailheads around Granite Creek: The Beasore Road that you asked about from Bass Lake, and the Minaret Road from North Fork, which takes a longer, more southerly and easterly route. They join up right before Clover Meadow, where you can get a walk-up wilderness permit at the Forest Service guard station and stay in the local campground. It's then a few miles more past Clover Meadow to the Isberg Pass trailhead.

In my experience, Beasore Road is shorter, but not any faster, because it is in such terrible condition. Minaret road is maintained much better. At least, that was the story the last time I drove it in 2010. I went in on Beasore Road and after hitting all the potholes, swore I wouldn't do that again, and had a much more pleasant drive out on Minaret Road.

I suggest you call the Forest Service office in North Fork at (559) 877-2218 and ask them which road they would recommend to get to the Isberg Pass trailhead on Granite Creek.

-Phil
sheperd80
Topix Regular

Post by sheperd80 »

The very last section to get to Isberg trailhead (past granite creek) was short but pretty rough. Some fairly steep ups and downs and riddled with deep holes. I wouldnt want to do it in a car, but im sure you could. Looks like an extra mile round trip to just hike out of granite creek instead.

The rest of it is just bumpy and annoying but very doable in a small car.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Last edited by sheperd80 on Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
sheperd80
Topix Regular

Post by sheperd80 »

Hope you give us a TR after your trip. Id love to see how that area looks now cuz it was beautiful even mid-drought.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk