road to Leavitt Lake TH

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
austex
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: road to Leavitt Lake TH

Post by austex »

mediauras wrote:Circling back on this -- this road is GNARLY! I ended up taking my 2000 Jeep Cherokee (old boxy kind) and it did fine, but there were a few parts where I was a little nervous I didn't quite have the clearance. Like @chasingrainbows we had to get out and scout lines on three different parts (and build up rocks in a few washed out parts). In the end, it was a bit of fun technical 4x4'ing. Not sure of clearance measurement on my Jeep, but anything less wouldn't fare well. The road gets you to the goods though.
Well, there potentially goes my idea out the window to rent specifically a midsize SUV (probably 2wd) rather than a more economical sedan ( I plan on about 2k miles on it) and be at the mercy of the Hertz gods what they place in space 420 @ LAS on that day and get to the th... I'm a pretty good 4 wheeler as far as wheel placement,torque allocation ect; but maybe I can go someplace else for my 2 nights before the Reno Air Races in Sept.
k9mark
Topix Regular

Post by k9mark »

rlown wrote:

This road? I've only been there twice, both times in a K5 chevy blazer 4wd. I thought the horse trailer on the road was a nice touch in the video.

I couldn't get the video to work
God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes
rhyang
Topix Regular

Post by rhyang »

mediauras wrote:Circling back on this -- this road is GNARLY! I ended up taking my 2000 Jeep Cherokee (old boxy kind) and it did fine, but there were a few parts where I was a little nervous I didn't quite have the clearance. Like @chasingrainbows we had to get out and scout lines on three different parts (and build up rocks in a few washed out parts). In the end, it was a bit of fun technical 4x4'ing. Not sure of clearance measurement on my Jeep, but anything less wouldn't fare well. The road gets you to the goods though.
Glad you made it. When I called the ranger station two years ago and asked if a Subaru could make it, they told me "probably not", but they were pretty helpful about why.

They didn't dissuade me from going, and it really isn't that far from the trailhead if you do have to get out and walk.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

Here's the direct link. If you still can't get it to work then you probably need to update your browser.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1fTycrRzX8
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix