Eastern Sierra Shuttle Recommendation

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
BigMan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Eastern Sierra Shuttle Recommendation

Post by BigMan »

Just thought I'd make a recommendation that hasn't been discussed here, to my knowledge.

I highly recommend Kathleen ((208) 863-6975). Last week she shuttled me from Whitney Portal to Onion Valley.

Shuttling isn't her main job -- she's the executive director for the Lone Pine Chamber of Commerce -- but she loves doing it and it shows.

Her rate was $120. Bob Ennis quoted me $195 for the same trip.

She has room for 3 max.

She also told me that that she's willing to shuttle HST hikers to Fresno/Visalia, and will also shuttle up north (Twin Lakes, Virginia Lakes, etc.)

Also, should we have a shuttle sticky?

Others I've used and recommend:

Bob Ennis (760) 876-1915
Paul (760) 878-8047
In wilderness lies the hope of the world.
BigMan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Eastern Sierra Shuttle Recommendation

Post by BigMan »

Also, while the consensus seems to be that it's very easy to hitchhike from Whitney Portal to Lone Pine, that was not my experience, at least for the 2 hours I tried during mid-day on a Monday.

There were about 8 others trying to the same and no one was leaving the Portal at mid-day. None of them were successful when I was there. We all ended up getting shuttles.

The road construction may have had something to do with this (?). Also, it's probably just a question of timing -- if you're willing to wait a few hours, to when all of the day hikers start leaving, you'll probably get a ride, imo.
In wilderness lies the hope of the world.
Sierrashuttle
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Sierrashuttle »

Call Sierra Shuttle Service at 760-914-2746.
hailsfromrockies
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by hailsfromrockies »

Just wanted to say thank you for sharing this info! Just arranged a ride with Kathleen for this weekend and feel much better about having a ride in place rather than taking a chance on hitchhiking. I wanted to add that while he wasn't available, I also talked to Kurt 661-972-9476 who was recommended by Strider at Mt. Williamson Motel in Independence (she does rides to Onion Valley from her place). So another option there.