Needles Lookout in Giant Sequoia National Monument

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
steve_moran
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Needles Lookout in Giant Sequoia National Monument

Post by steve_moran »

The Needles Lookout tower burned down in 2011, but I'd still like to do the hike to the Needles spires (on top of which the tower used to sit). I tried a few years ago but my car got stuck on the dirt road to the TH ($300 tow!). Does anybody know of any hiker shuttle business that provides transportation service for this part of the Sierras such as Inyo NF has listed on their website for the East side? (http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOC ... 489230.pdf)

Giant Sequoia National Monument is within Sequoia NF. The nearest town of any size is Porterville. From there you take Hwy 190 thru Springville and Camp Nelson and just after 190 becomes Western Divide Hwy at Quaking Aspen campground you turn onto the dirt road. From there it's 2.5 miles to the TH and then a 2.5 mile hike to the Needles, but 10 miles is too long a hike for me these days so hiking from the start of the dirt road is NOT an option. If any hiker shuttle business exists that could drop me off at the TH and then either come back and pick me up or wait for me (whichever costs less), I would like to talk to them.

Thanks in advance!
Steve
steve_moran
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Needles Lookout in Giant Sequoia National Monument

Post by steve_moran »

I should add that if any business providing hiker shuttle services does in fact exist, their vehicle that would drive me on the dirt road to the TH would need to be more robust than my 2WD low-clearance Toyota Corolla that got stuck on that road. I believe any ongoing maintenance of that road stopped after the Lookout tower burned down, so its condition has probably only gotten worse since I got stuck a few years ago.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Needles Lookout in Giant Sequoia National Monument

Post by Shawn »

HI Steve,

I wonder when you intend to get up there? Looks like a fun and interesting trip and I have four wheel drive vehicle. Perhaps we could hook up sometime to head up there. No shuttle needed !

Shawn