Visalia -> SEKI buses

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
TwoFortyJeff
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Visalia -> SEKI buses

Post by TwoFortyJeff »

Does anyone know when and where the new buses will have pickups in Visalia?
I am trying to orchestrate a plane flight and train to get there without too much down time.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Visalia -> SEKI buses

Post by ERIC »

TwoFortyJeff wrote:Does anyone know when and where the new buses will have pickups in Visalia?
I am trying to orchestrate a plane flight and train to get there without too much down time.
Hi Jeff,

I'm not sure if there is any transportation to the Sierra from Visalia. If there is, I've not hear of it. I assume you're destination is Sequoia / Kings Canyon, right? Out of curiosity, is this why are you flying into Visalia? You might be better off (cheaper, anyway) to fly into Fresno, rent a vehicle at Enterprise or Budget and just drive your way up the hill. The cost difference between flying to Fresno vs. Visalia is substantial. Maybe someone else here has a better solution for Jeff?
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Eric,

I think Jeff is referring to a previous posting here viewtopic.php?t=1462&highlight=bus+visalia, which quoted a Mercury News article that said there were, indeed, going to be buses from Visalia to SEKI.
ERIC
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

Oh yeah...I remember that thread now. Thanks.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
TwoFortyJeff
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by TwoFortyJeff »

Yup, I was refering to the new YARTS style buses that should go into effect early this summer.

Actually, I am flying into LAX, taking an Amtrak to Visalia, then hoping on the official buses into Lodgepole. From there it is over to Whitney and then up to Oregon along the PCT. Otherwise I'd do the rental thing.