Rock Fall Hwy 140 Closure

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Rock Fall Hwy 140 Closure

Post by maverick »

Yosemite NP:
The El Portal Road (Hwy 140) is closed within Yosemite National Park due to a rockfall this afternoon. The closure is in place from the park line to the Cascades picnic area. Several large boulders on the road prohibit vehicular traffic.

This closure is expected to last at least through this evening as park crews work to blast and removed the boulders. It is unknown if and when the road will reopen tomorrow, Tuesday November 1, 2016. A park geologist is currently on scene, accessing the release point and checking the stability of the slope above the rockfall.

For updated 24-hour road and weather conditions for Yosemite National Park, please call 209-372-0200
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Hwy 140 Reopens Tonight At 7 PM

Post by maverick »

Yosemite NP:
The El Portal Road (Hwy 140) within Yosemite National Park will reopen this evening to all vehicular traffic at 7:00 pm this evening. The road closed yesterday afternoon due to a rockfall, which resulted in several large boulders falling and landing on the road. There were no injuries associated with the rockfall.

Road crews in the park have been working throughout the day to blast the fallen rocks, clear debris, and ensure visitor safety in the rockfall area.

Visitors are urged to use caution when driving through the rockfall area.

For updated 24-hour road and weather conditions for Yosemite National Park, please call 209-372-0200.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org