General Hwy Closed 1/19

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

General Hwy Closed 1/19

Post by maverick »

SEKI NP:
Due to heavy rainfall and snow last night, the Generals Highway is currently #closed at Hospital Rock in Sequoia National Park. There is therefore no access to the big trees in Sequoia.
Kings Canyon National Park remains #open with chains or 4-wheel drive required.
Crews are working this morning to get the road open as soon as possible. We will keep you updated as conditions change.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Re: General Hwy Closed 1/19

Post by ERIC »

So...what they're saying is

Code: Select all

code
for what, exactly? ;)
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: General Hwy Closed 1/19

Post by maverick »

So...what they're saying is code for what, exactly?
:)

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: General Hwy Closed 1/23

Post by maverick »

SEKI NP:
Due to heavy rain and snow, the Generals Highway is currently closed at the Foothills Visitor Center in Sequoia National Park. There is therefore no access to the big trees in Sequoia.
Access to Kings Canyon National Park from Highway 180 remains open. Chains or 4-wheel drive are required. The road between the parks is closed.
Crews are working to get the road open as soon as possible. We will keep you updated as conditions change.
A series of winter storms has affected road conditions, and a new winter storm is bringing more heavy rain and snow through Tuesday.

At the elevation of the sequoia groves, a strong winter storm is having major impacts. Park roads may close if conditions become unsafe. Heavy snow has fallen and more is expected through Tuesday, January 24th. Tire chains are required in these areas, and it's been difficult for snowplows to keep roads clear. Consider postponing your visit until conditions improve. If you do come, skis or snowshoes are essential.

At lower elevations, over ten inches of rain have fallen this month and another 3-5 inches are expected by Tuesday. Beware of rocks, branches, ice, and mud on the road. In addition to debris, some places have deep puddles and flowing water. Rivers and creeks are high.

At Wolverton snowplay area in Sequoia National Park, the sledding hill is inaccessible due to a significant stream of water flowing between the parking lot and the hill. This weather also increases the hazards of trips into the wilderness.

The National Weather Service offers details at weather.gov. If you come to the parks, be cautious and be prepared.

For a recording on the most current park road conditions, call (559) 565-3341, then press 1, then 1 again.