Cedar Grove

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Cedar Grove

Post by BSquared »

Is it still the case (really: is it likely to be still the case this summer --2017--) that there is absolutely no public transportation to Cedar Grove and/or Road's End from anywhere?
—B²
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Cedar Grove

Post by AlmostThere »

So far as I know. You might get someone here to pick you up/drop you off, tho.
BSquared
Founding Member

Post by BSquared »

Nah, I'm even uglier than Markskor ;) Seriously, though, a sign and backpack just down the road from Grant Grove might do the trick... My wife isn't too keen on hitch hiking, though, so we'll probably just try to find a ride from someone we know. Thanks!
—B²
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

I wouldn't pick me up either -
yet oft as a solo traveler Sierra, still frequently depend on the kindness of others (with cars). Recommend the sign approach too... Well-used gear always in the forefront - no surprises.
Maybe its the relaxed attitude...(most of my best rides gotten when sitting down).
There are worse places to be temporarily stranded.
Mountainman who swims with trout
zacjust32
Topix Regular

Post by zacjust32 »

When are you planning on going? Someone may be in the area you can coordinate with.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Is it still the case (really: is it likely to be still the case this summer --2017--) that there is absolutely no public transportation to Cedar Grove and/or Road's End from anywhere?
Yes.

If you do decide to hitchhike, time your departure for Sunday morning, most folk (backpackers) finish their trips on Sundays and many campers do too. Make a sign as Mark recommended and offer some gas money.
Post the dates here, you may get someone to shuttle you down for a fee or may get someone going down the same day and another person coming out on the same day that you could co-ordinate with.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

Hitch hiking in SEKI seemed to be hit or miss, until I learned that having a rope and helmet bumped up the odds! Sometimes I just stash one and hold it while I thumb a ride, maybe the backpack only makes me look like a sketchy bum? (life jacket and paddle work even better, but harder to stash)

You can also post when you're close to the date, I'm in and out of Cedar Grove all the time and enjoy excuses to go back. At the very least I could get you to Wilsona in Grant Grove where I spend a lot of the summer.
BSquared
Founding Member

Post by BSquared »

Great replies, all. Thank you! Great board, as I've always known :)

Markskor: I love your new avatar!!
—B²