New ESTA Shuttle Rte: Bishop to South Lake and Lake Sabrina

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

New ESTA Shuttle Rte: Bishop to South Lake and Lake Sabrina

Post by Dave_Ayers »

Twice per day shuttle starts 7 days per week June 17th plus Memorial Day weekend. See http://www.estransit.com/routes-schedul ... k-shuttle/ for more info.
cslaght
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: New ESTA Shuttle Rte: Bishop to South Lake and Lake Sabr

Post by cslaght »

How sweet is this?!
"The mountains are calling, but can't find my phone"

Charles
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

A nice service. I didn't see where it said one can park for multiple days prior to riding the shuttle. Think I'd still drive my own vehicle up.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

A welcome addition...good asset...kudos, hopefully something you could plan on when exiting/ coming out from other distant THs. 4:00 afternoon bus - can meet someone at Von's/ hit 395 - works, but -
Like Russ, wonder if there has been any provisions made for safe (safer?) parking, long term in Bishop? (sort of an oxymoron there).
Map does not indicate recommendations or anything...might just call them - ask?
Hope it works for all, and will await feedback from this, their first season.
Mountainman who swims with trout
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Here's the lowdown.

Called ESTA about the long-term parking situation, they did not have an answer, except that the parking lots are large at Vons/Kmart, but nothing about the issues that might arise when someone is parked there for a week or two ( getting towed), they told me to contact the Chamber of Commerce of Bishop (CCB), CCB was not even aware that the ESTA shuttle was even listed on their site yet or when the service was to implemented. :\

Chuck my point of contact at CCB said that they had one meeting with ESTA about the Bishop Shuttle recently, but no starting date or long-term parking was discussed, Chuck will be contacting them and work on these details before starting the service. He did say that the buses originate from the Bishop Airport and that there is a lot of free long-term parking available, so I called the airport.

Ken, my point of contact at the Bishop Airport (BA) said that there is very limited parking available at BA at least till late July and he was not contacted about the BA parking lot being used as a long-term parking solution, he will get in touch with ESTA and CCB to get on the same page today.

Seems like ESTA is getting ahead of themselves, without discussing any of the long-term parking logistics with the BCC and BA.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Nice followup, Mav. If I already drove to Bishop, I'm not sure why I'd use the shuttle though. The ESTA map seems to assume we'll park in Reno or Lancaster and use their whole system, but ok..
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular

Post by Dave_Ayers »

Agree with rlown. If I had a car, I'd use this shuttle to close the South Lake to Sabrina or North Lake loop and park at one of those.

Years ago they used to allow extended parking in Bishop at the public lot by the police/courthouse/library on Church St. a block west of 395 about a mile from Vons (where the shuttle stops). You might also try the RV park, some of those will allow it for a fee.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

If doing a point-to-point trip, most shuttles will drive to one trailhead with you, where you park (the exit of your trip), and then take you to your starting point trailhead. This is a more useful service. Maybe these guys will do that too.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Sorry, I ment to say maybe if successful, they could get into trailhead to trailhead shuttles in the future. The current shuttle service seems more aimed at day-hikers and fishermen to alleviate the parking congestion at South Lake.

I hitched when I did South Lake to Taboose- had to hitch two rides, one to town and another up to South Lake. At least the shuttle bus would eliminate one added hitch if I had parked my car at South Lake on the start of a trip.
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular

Post by Dave_Ayers »

It's an easy 2 mile walk from the 168/North Lake Rd junction (one of the stops) to the North Lake TH or 1.8 from the junction to the North Lake TH parking lot. That's pretty close to TH to TH service. Possibly they are concerned about driving a bus on the gravel road to North Lake.