Parking for Backcountry Trips out of Mammoth

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
iluka
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Parking for Backcountry Trips out of Mammoth

Post by iluka »

Hey,

Some friends and I are heading down to the Mammoth area to do a backcountry ski tour. Does anyone have any information on where one can leave a car while out on the trip? I know that there is no overnight parking up near the ski area but was wondering if anyone had advice on where else in town one can park overnight and then access a shuttle to the ski area, where we'll head out via Minaret Summit.

Thanks for the help.
rgliebe
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Parking for Backcountry Trips out of Mammoth

Post by rgliebe »

There is an area along the main road into the ski resort designed for overnight and long term parking. Just watch the signs to make sure you don't park in a day use only area. I've parked there for over a week while backpacking and had no problems. It's a short walk from the parking area to where the buses depart near the ski lift, and you can buy a ticket that includes park admission and get dropped off at trailheads that are close to the road.

As far as I know, all the parking in town is private property, so you could get towed for parking in the lot of a business overnight unless you have made special arrangements. Even the ranger station is day use parking only. There are shuttle buses that go through town on the major roads that will go to the ski resort, and you can get maps and schedules online.
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Parking for Backcountry Trips out of Mammoth

Post by sambieni »

If you are going up a busy time period / holiday weekend, I would recommend get up to the ski area and park first thing in the morning. I was backpacking up there last July 4 weekend; I got easy parking around July 1 very early in the morning, but returning to my car on July 4 in the afternoon post hike - I probably could have sold my parking space for a pretty penny. There was real competition on the road staking me out as I got organized before driving away.