seeking advice--SHR

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
alpaca
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

seeking advice--SHR

Post by alpaca »

Hey all. Doing the shr in about a week & wondering if anyone has advice about transportation. my situation: driving up, planning on hiking from Road's End to Twin Lakes (nobo), going solo aka only one car avail. Thinking about leaving car at road's end but then not sure logistics of picking it up. no stranger to hitching but welcome alternate suggestions. anyone?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: seeking advice--SHR

Post by maverick »

Hi Alpaca,

Welcome to HST!
You could take Amtrak to Visalia, then take a Sequoia Shuttle into the park, and hitchhike to Road’s End. For the exit, one could hike back down to Tuolumne Meadows, take the free Yosemite NPS shuttle back down to the Valley, and take Amtrak out.

Look forward to reading your trip report! :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
alpaca
Topix Newbie

Post by alpaca »

Thanks for the advice, Maverick. I'm actually hoping to find a way to stay on the east side if possible. would rather do extra hiking on the front end, i.e. into kings canyon.
alpaca
Topix Newbie

Post by alpaca »

IN fact I read somewhere that you could hike from Onion Valley to Road's End, about 20 extra miles. that might be a better place to leave the car. looking into it now but feedback still GREATLY appreciated!