Getting from LA to Tuolumne meadows. on 9/18.

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
cakeday
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Getting from LA to Tuolumne meadows. on 9/18.

Post by cakeday »

i pick up my permit on 9/18 and start from Lyell canyon.

My dilemma is how to get from Los Angeles to Tuolumne Meadows.

I had a friend who was supposed to drop me off on sunday to TM but got into a small accident yesterday and now i am left with trying to figure out how to get to TM on sunday (9/17).

i tried the below options but nothing seems to work out given the late season and abbreviated ESTA and YARTS schedule.

A)
Take Amtrack to Fresno on 9/17. and then take YARTS from fresno to Yosemite valley. BUT, yarts stops running from fresno on 9/15. So this option is out.

B)
Fly to Mammoth lakes from LA on 9/17, take Yarts from Mammoth lakes to Yosemite Valley on 9/18. BUT, Yarts doesn't run on weekdays (9/18). So this option is out.

C)
Fly to Mammoth lakes from LA on 9/16, take Yarts from Mammoth lakes to Yosemite Valley on 9/17. BUT, I can't find a flight (AA or Alaska) that runs on a Saturday. So this option is out.

What are my other options ? I am still doing the research for more options. but it kind of throws me off because ESTA runs on weekdays only and YARTS on weekends only.. haha ! its a bit of challenge.

Is here anyone out there, with slightly same schedule as I and i can maybe carpool or we can share the cost.
I am a little flexible in terms of starting a day or so early.. but i have to work until friday (9/15)
franklin411
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Getting from LA to Tuolumne meadows. on 9/18.

Post by franklin411 »

I'm looking on Costco.com (their rental car booking service). $99.64 for a one-way rental from LAX to MMH on 9/16. That's a fabulous price for a one way rental. Problem solved?
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Getting from LA to Tuolumne meadows. on 9/18.

Post by gary c. »

I'm not sure of the days that everything runs but you shouldn't have too much problem except for timing. You can take the metro link to Lancaster and catch the bus (I forget the bus line) from there to Mammoth. From Mammoth you can ride the Yosemite bus to Tuolumne. I had friends that did this for their return from the Yosemite Valley after completing the JMT. It also seems like someone on here made the same run a couple years ago, Old Ranger maybe?
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray