Reds Meadow Opening and Shuttle Starting

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Reds Meadow Opening and Shuttle Starting

Post by maverick »

My source reports that they will open/start 6/15 or 6/16. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
gbrown09
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Reds Meadow Opening and Shuttle Starting

Post by gbrown09 »

maverick wrote:My source reports that they will open/start 6/15 or 6/16. :)
Have you heard anything recently about this? I've got an overnight permit for Minaret Lake on 6/16.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

https://www.nps.gov/depo/planyourvisit/ ... mation.htm

Eastern Sierra Transit Authority https://www.estransit.com/ - can call to talk to them about the shuttle.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Open 6/15 at 5 pm

Post by maverick »

Have you heard anything recently about this? I've got an overnight permit for Minaret Lake on 6/16.
Here it is officially:

Inyo NF:
The Inyo National Forest and Devils Postpile National Monument announce that the Reds Meadow Valley Road will open on Friday, June 15 at 5:00 pm.

The road received damage in two sections of the road, where the sub-grade material under the road washed away and the road buckled. The forest’s Engineering Crew, with the assistance of an additional crew brought in under an emergency contract, rebuilt and repaved these segments of the road.

The mandatory Reds Meadow Shuttle Bus will run starting Saturday, June 16. Only exception vehicles will be allowed to drive into the Reds Meadow Valley. Please visit https://www.estransit.com/routes-sch…/… ... w-shuttle/ for details.

The Agnew Meadows,Minaret Falls, Reds Meadow, Upper Soda Springs, and the Pumice Flat Campgrounds will open by Friday, June 22 and earlier if feasible by the concessioner, California Land Management (http://www.clm-services.com). Inyo National Forest and Devils Postpile National Monument water systems are being tested for potability, so hikers and campers should bring their own water. The Reds Meadow Resort and Pack Station is open with camping supplies.

The Devils Postpile Ranger Station will be open daily, 9:00 am -5:00 pm starting June 16. As a reminder, wilderness permits are issued at the Welcome Center in Mammoth Lakes—not at the Ranger Station. Flush toilets are available at the Ranger Station. Devils Postpile National Monument campground is closed this year to increase day use access for picnicking, improved river access for fishing, and to provide overflow parking in the fall. Please call the Ranger Station/Visitor Center at 760-934-2289 for more information. The trail to viewpoints above Rainbow Falls are open. Trail crews are repairing the damages on the trail to the base of Rainbow Falls, which will remain closed until work is completed.

The roads in the Reds Meadow Valley are narrow and visibility is limited. All vehicles should use caution on both the Reds Meadow and Devils Postpile roads.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

I called and got a confirm for Saturday the 16th. I'll be there!
wreynier
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by wreynier »

Thanks for the updates! I'm headed in on 6/23, so have been anxiously watching for updates.

@CAMERONM, post a trip report after - would love to see what conditions look like ahead of time! :)
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

Yup, Saturday was the first day for the bus, and also for Red's Meadow. It looked all the stock at Red's is from last year, and they have posted a notice: "Sorry, no ice-cream until Wednesday". The food in the cafe is pretty wretched, and there is a lot of first-day new-employee confusion.

One other thing: the late day busses fill up, and after 4 PM they go only every 45 minutes. So if you just come off the trail and hope to make it home quickly, or make it home at all, beware! We stood cheek by jowl and they had kids sitting in the luggage area. The driver however is super-accommodating.

One more thing: the whole waiting area at the lodge is torn up, with no bus info. You must now go to the Mammoth ticket office to buy the bus ticket; the bus-stop sits right in front of the climbing tower, neatly between the ticket building on one side and the restaurant on the other.

I'll post conditions in the conditions report. Basically, any snow on trail should be gone in a few days.