Kaiser Road/ Courtright Road Update 5/16

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Kaiser Road/ Courtright Road Update 5/16

Post by maverick »

Sierra NF:
High Sierra Ranger District - Kaiser Pass Road remains closed, with no opening date available at this time. Memorial Day is often the target date for opening. Southern California Edison has begun to blow/plow through and will continue until it is complete.

Courtright Road (photo) also remains closed, with pavement only to the PG&E switchyard. There are several miles of snow covering the road to the reservoir. No plowing is scheduled only natural melt-off. Projecting sometime in June before the reservoir is accessible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oddtiger
Topix Regular

Re: Kaiser Road/ Courtright Road Update 5/16

Post by oddtiger »

Kaiser Road to VVR is unofficially opened as of 6/8
Thebrenner
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Thebrenner »

This is GREAT news! Any intel on the road to Florence Lake? No one knows at the High Sierra Ranger District in Prather because they have not been back there yet.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Thebrenner wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:32 am This is GREAT news! Any intel on the road to Florence Lake? No one knows at the High Sierra Ranger District in Prather because they have not been back there yet.
I will post when I get back from Edison next week. There is 12 feet of snow on Kaiser Pass, tho... Still plenty of snow.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Courtright Road Open

Post by maverick »

SNF:
Good news - The High Sierra Ranger District received word today from PG&E, that the Courtright Reservoir Road is now open. The road is open to the boat launch area, and the lake is available for fishing and boating activity only.

Trail access is not possible at this time, and the PG&E operated campgrounds Trapper Springs, and Marmot Rock remain closed. Lily Pad campground located at Wishon Reservoir is open.

For more information on recreational activities please contact the Sierra National Forest's Bass Lake Ranger District Office @ 559-877-2218, High Sierra Ranger District Office @ 559-855-5355, and the Forest Headquarters @ 559-297-0706.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
mbehlen
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by mbehlen »

Hey Maverick,

What are your thoughts on the conditions of dinky lakes area above courtright the weekend of july 4th?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

mbehlen wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:41 pm Hey Maverick,

What are your thoughts on the conditions of dinky lakes area above courtright the weekend of july 4th?
I can tell you that the roads to the Willow Lake trailhead are still closed this week, that only Tamarack will be open all the way to that trailhead when they finally open the gate, because Rock Creek Rd has a bridge that remains busted up and closed after a tree fell on it. Cliff Lake trailhead is inaccessible until the snow in that road melts off, tho the road to Courtright is open to the boat dock. You can hike to Dinkey from Badger Flat off Kaiser Pass Rd, if you have an extra day and some masochism as that trail has not been maintained in a long little while. But there is still significant snow in the basin itself.