Parking at Agnew Meadows/Mammoth

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Parking at Agnew Meadows/Mammoth

Post by robow8 »

So, with about 7 weeks to go until our trip, I can hardly think of anything else. I am planning on getting up early enough to park at Agnew Meadows, but if I'm not able to make it and have to park at Mammoth Mountain and catch the shuttle, is the parking at Mammoth Mountain secure enough? Do I need to empty my car of smellables, and if I do, are there bear boxes to store stuff?

Thanks!
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Parking at Agnew Meadows/Mammoth

Post by c9h13no3 »

Mammoth is like a small city. You park on a road near the ski lifts and walk to the shuttle stop. There are mountain bikers whizzing by & going up lifts, buses hauling bikes. The few times I parked there, I didn't take any bear counter-measures. But at the same time, I don't leave much in my car either. I doubt they'd enter such a populated area though.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

Black bears are prevalent over the town of Mammoth Lakes at about any time of the year.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I've parked in the roadside parking a lot and never had a problem. Always seemed as sequre as anyplace else. I don't think that there are any bear lockers available though.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Yeah, I wouldn't leave a cheese pizza in the car or anything. But I wouldn't scour the car for tubes of chapstick or anything like that either if you're parking & walking to the shuttle.

If you park in the Agnew Meadows pullout, that's another story. Much more isolated.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular

Post by Dave_Ayers »

A JMT friend had her car smashed in by a bear while parked at the ski area in Aug '15. Take the warnings seriously ...
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

Dave_Ayers wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:36 pm A JMT friend had her car smashed in by a bear while parked at the ski area in Aug '15. Take the warnings seriously ...
I don't plan on having anything inside the cabin, but will toiletries in the trunk be okay?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

but will toiletries in the trunk be okay?
Like what? Anything that has added fragrance is a no-no: soap, toothpaste, mint floss, or underarm deodorant are out. ;)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Do they have bear boxes at Agnew Meadow or DPP ? If so, could you take your smelly stuff with you and store it in the bear boxes? Don't forget to pick it up on your way back :)
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

Thanks everyone for commenting. My plan for now is to make sure that I get up early enough to be able to drive to Agnew Meadows, but if that doesn't happen (my wife gets up at 5am every day to take some medication, so I don't foresee that happening), we'll park at Mammoth and take a small bag of smellables with us to Agnew Meadows and keep them in a bear box there.
Thanks again!