Packers in the Sierra

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Packers in the Sierra

Post by oldranger »

Notice that the list includes just eastside Packers and those just s. of Yosemite. There are several w. side pack stations and another at Levitt Meadows that I have used. Anyone considering using a packer is welcome to contact me as I have regularly been using packers on the first day of 10 + day trips for several years. Plus I had seven seasons as a stock ranger for NPS and know the ins and outs of packing stock and the pack station business.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

The Western High Sierra Packers Association website appears to no longer exist, but I was able to pull up this old page that lists more pack operations using archive.org:

https://web.archive.org/web/20161102082 ... ckers.html
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I too, did a search and only found old docs.

OR, if you have a list of packers that you've used on the West side, please post them with a comment on each if you've had experience with them.
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

I can vouch for High Sierra and D&F being good. Lost Valley are family friends of ours. They do very limited spot packing these days, but you can give them a try.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Packers ran into problems over liability insurance. Some insurance companies simply don't want to deal with that kind of "animal" liability. I mean, pack mules and horses don't even have air bags.