South lake road closure 2020

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
Npike
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

South lake road closure 2020

Post by Npike »

while on the recreation . Gov website to book permits, there is some info about south lake road being closed on and off throughout the summer. Anyone have any info about timing that’s not disclosed? Would the entire road need to be closed? Im looking to end a trip there in September and not sure if I will be able to get a hitch back to bishop with a closure, so I may need to look at alternate plans.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Re: South lake road closure 2020

Post by balzaccom »

From what I have seen, they are talking about opening the road early in the morning, once in the middle of the day, and once at the end of the day. And not always. We ran into this a couple of years ago in the same area. Not convenient, but it doesn't mean the road is completely impassable all summer.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
johnz
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by johnz »

Here is the press release from Feb. 20:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/new ... EPRD705586

From elsewhere on the Inyo website:

South Lake Road Reconstruction is planned for 2020. Trailhead parking for Tyee Lakes and Bishop Pass will be closed for construction at times (with two-week advanced notice) this summer and the number of parking spaces will be reduced for most of the summer. Hikers need to plan for travel delays, re-routed trailhead access, alternatives to long-term parking, and consider shuttles to/from trailheads. The Forks and Willow Campgrounds may be closes up to two days and Four Jeffrey Campground may be closed for up to ten days this summer. Local businesses and services along South Lake Road will remain open and accessible during construction.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Where do you park your car in Bishop if you take the shuttle for a longer trip, such as 10-20 days, without getting your car hauled away or ticketed?
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by LMBSGV »

Perhaps this should be in the Transportation section and merged with this thread?

http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... 16&t=20382
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
kylekuzma
Topix Acquainted

Post by kylekuzma »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:41 am Where do you park your car in Bishop if you take the shuttle for a longer trip, such as 10-20 days, without getting your car hauled away or ticketed?
Seconding this question if anyone knows. Follow up would be how this effects the shuttle....
dprice1
Topix Novice

Post by dprice1 »

Inyo FS office sent email informing me that Tabooose Pass Trail has been closed due to last years 2019 fire. I called Ranger and she described the burn as being extremely high temperature reducing the vegetation’s ability to stabilize the soils and in the event of T storms the flash flood danger/trail washout. I’ll exit at Sawmill as a result.
GGC23
Topix Acquainted

Post by GGC23 »

To Daisy's and Kyle's question above, I live in Bishop and can't think off the top of my head where you could legally leave a car for 10-20 days while also being in close proximity to an ESTA shuttle stop. There are endless roads just outside of town where you could probably park undisturbed for months, but then you have no way to get to the ESTA stop. You might be ok parking in the Vons/Kmart lot, particularly now that Kmart is closed, but that lot is clearly signed as no overnight parking. Personally, I wouldn't want to chance it. If you contact the Bishop Chamber of Commerce, they might be able to steer you in the right direction and/or convince a business that owns a parking lot in the area to make a tidy profit this summer by offering long term parking for a fee, like they do in Lone Pine for JMT hikers because of the parking restrictions at Whitney Portal.
kylekuzma
Topix Acquainted

Post by kylekuzma »

I forgot to post after i spoke with someone that works for the shuttle (forgot the name of the Bishop public trans dpt). They said the shuttle will certainly be running, just a bit delayed due to the construction. My original plan was to park at Sabrina Lake, come out at South Lake, then take the Shuttle back to my car at Lake Sabrina and I believe that will still be possible given what i was told. Fingers crossed though given the Covid mess.
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by SNOOOOW »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:41 am Where do you park your car in Bishop if you take the shuttle for a longer trip, such as 10-20 days, without getting your car hauled away or ticketed?
There is a parking lot on Church Street Between Fowler and Warren Street in Bishop, just north of the Police Station. You can leave your car there for extended periods just make sure to stop into the Police Station and leave them your description. There is a South Lake/Sabrina/North Lake shuttle stop right there also but I have never taken that. I have used this parking lot 2x in the past 2 years while meeting a buddy who is coming up from so cal so we don't both have to drive our vehicles all the way up to the lakes/trailhead. You can 100% leave your vehicle there per the Bishop Police. Now if you arrive super early or late in the evening I am not sure what you would do regarding leaving the Police your info. Maybe call Bishop PD if that is the case. Hope that helps. I too am wondering how this road construction is going to interfere with my 6 day North Lake to South Lake trip in August. https://www.estransit.com/routes-schedu ... k-shuttle/ :drinkers:
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.