Sierra High Route in August: Mutually Beneficial Car Swap & Shuttle

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
ohm44
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Sierra High Route in August: Mutually Beneficial Car Swap & Shuttle

Post by ohm44 »

I will be doing the Sierra High Route + Southern Sierra High Route, Mono Village to Cottonwood Lakes TH. Rough hiking dates: leave Mono Village 8/10, finish at Cottonwood Lakes 8/31.

I am trying to be responsible by avoiding any public transportation, including flights and the ESTA buses. As such I am driving out from Denver. What I'm proposing is this: you, an intrepid adventurer, are planning on doing the same route, but in reverse. We meet at Cottonwood Lakes TH on the 9th or 10th. You give me your keys, and I drive your car to Mono Village (I'll pay parking and get you some gas). While I'm stuck on the highway, you're going on your merry way through the mountains, with your car safely waiting for you at the end. Keys left with the store at Mono Village. You finish your hike then immediately hop in your car to grab a beer and head home.

Or we could do it the opposite way, where we meet at Mono Village, and you drive my car south.

Obviously there's a good amount of trust needed for this kind of thing, so I'd be happy to FaceTime just to prove to you that I am not a degenerate.

On the off chance that this would work out well for anyone, I would love to hear from you!
bjornsether
Topix Novice

Re: Sierra High Route in August: Mutually Beneficial Car Swap & Shuttle

Post by bjornsether »

My brother and I will be finishing a month of route-finding on August 9. I have a flight from SFO on August 10: I had thought of ending at Mono (and still could), but since Yosemite Valley / similar is "closer" to SFO, I'm thinking of trying to hitch from there, since public transit is limited and - as you say - less considerate. (Though after four weeks in the backcountry, I'll have had my quarantine.)

If I had seen your post before, I might have been able to help you out, but I'm not sure about now. Can you think of a solution? I'm flying into Fresno four weeks earlier and figuring out a ride to Road's End.
bjornsether
Topix Novice

Post by bjornsether »

Another thought on this: since I booked my flight early enough in the pandemic, i can rebook it at no cost (I believe). So, I could (1) pick up your car at Mono Village on the 10th, (2) drive to SFO to drop my brother off (he's flying out late on the 10th), (3) drive your car to Cottonwood Lakes TH, (4) and somehow get to an airport. That last step is the weak one. But it would be nice to have a guaranteed way to get my brother to SFO. It would also be 600+ miles on your car.

Hmm. Maybe not so convenient.
ohm44
Topix Novice

Post by ohm44 »

I think I was more looking for someone who also had a car to drive, but thanks for getting creative!