Preferred gas station chain while on a road trip?

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Preferred gas station chain while on a road trip?

Post by rlown »

No plugs at the trailhead.
Jason
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Jason »

If I just need gas, I'll just stop wherever is convenient. If I need a restroom or snacks, I tend to pick Chevron even if it's a bit more expensive because it seems like their facilities are usually cleaner. If I'm doing a long day trip to the mountains (300 miles) I figure paying an extra $2-$3 for a tank of gas isn't a big deal, since the overall cost of gas and wear and tear, food and other fees is going to be a minimum of $50-$60 anyways. If I were towing a trailer or had a gas hog I might change my mind of course.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Test drive tomorrow. Schedule sucks, but it'll work. Mom's cataract surgery was fine but she has another appointment in the morning, so it kind of works after a good lunch. Diesel is about 3.19 here now, as I'm not a Sam's club member. Full tank and good for another 600 miles. Red lights in Elk Grove suck!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Got the 2015 Golf TDI sportwagen. very happy. Now I have to read the manual. sigh. It's gonna be on Exxon gas for a bit as that is local..
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

The standard gas stop is either Zak's or the Sierra Energy on Sonora Pass. You don't want to buy gas in Dardanelle or Bridgeport O_O
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Never ever in Bridgeport. Totally agree. I can make it with a full tank to North Lake and back home now.. Even easier now with the TDI..
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

I always hit Costco on the way out of town. After that, I just try not to think about it and stop wherever looks good.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
John Harper
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by John Harper »

For my truck, whatever seems best price when needed. Most automobiles and trucks are very accommodating on fuel requirements.

For my motorcycle, Chevron only from now on. Techron (techroline) has documented advantages and most opinions favor it as premium gas.

I will avoid Shell whenever possible. Shell gas and Seafoam fuel stabilizer have caused issues with the carburetor on my Harley. It's been reported by others on motorcycle forums as well. Caused momentarily clogged jets and engine shutdown, not good on a bike.

John