Preferred gas station chain while on a road trip?

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Preferred gas station chain while on a road trip?

Post by dave54 »

What are the brands you look for while traveling? Just curious if you have a favorite.

Whatever is the next one you see?
Whatever is cheapest?
Bubba's Beer, Bait, and Cheep Gas?
Rubber hose and a gas can?

The only loyalty card I regularly use is Pilot/Flying J (National, mostly along the interstates or main highways). Nickel per gallon off if a member. And they all have a YUGE apron for maneuvering a larger rig or trailer. They usually have a large convenience store and fast food on site. I also have a Maverik account (intermountain area -- Utah and Colorado) but they are not usually any cheaper. I seldom use it. The loyalty points are redeemed for discounts in the convenience store (after a cumulative 300 gallons purchased you can get a free drink. Big deal). Maverik has a gas discount if you set up a debit account with them. I didn't, do not completely trust gas station debit accounts. Same with Terrible Herbst (southern NV and northern AZ). No cheaper, just in store discounts with accumulated points.

Don't have Love's or any of the other truck stop chains. They are similar to Pilot.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Preferred gas station chain while on a road trip?

Post by rlown »

I like Love's.. I generally like Shell.
RichardCullip
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by RichardCullip »

As a retired Chevron Geologist I still look for the Chevron Station. I do get $0.10 a gallon discount as a retired employee and $0.20 a gallon off if we let our Vons points build up.
Life is good. Eternal Life is better!

Richard
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

I should mention tribal gas stations are usually really cheap. They are not subject to the state gas or sales taxes and reflect that in the pump price. Also, ethanol-free gas is widely available in other states. Hard to find in California.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

We like Love's. Pilot/Flying J are also good but not that prevalent where we travel. All of these have clean restrooms with a lot of stalls....no waiting. Good selection of snacks, too, and most have an attached fast food place (McDonalds, etc).
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I remember paying .66/gal for gas in '76.
When I got my diesel truck, I'd stop at Pilot on my way to duck hunting near yuba city and get a fill-up at .99/gal in '98 in Dunnigan. I think it was Pilot.
Times are different. Coming back from San Diego with Mark, we stopped at the 215/15/395 merge. Should have waited until Victorville. sigh. 3.46/gal

Test driving my new (used) 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI on Monday. I love diesels..

Mom's '97 honda decided to dump a large amount of oil on the gravel, but at 330,000 miles, things happen. Called her and got her immediately to a repair shop (was down 3 quarts!). She's complicating this new car pick-up because of cataract surgery, which I'm driving her to.. Had her pre-surgery covid test.. negative, so i probably don't have it either. good!
Things always happen at once for me..
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Any gas station in Oregon! Having someone pump your gas is wonderful! And cheaper than California prices too!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

They changed that law years ago in Oregon in some places. Covid has changed it a bit.

https://www.oregon.gov/osp/programs/sfm ... COVID%2D19.
mort
Topix Regular

Post by mort »

I live in Los Angeles, heading north on the 5/99 I stop for gas in Visalia, there is a Fastrip station with the lowest prices, $2.439 today. For east side I stop at the Fastrip in Rosamond, $2.819 regular, today. I always check gasbuddy.
-mort
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

rlown wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:51 am Test driving my new (used) 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI on Monday. I love diesels..

Mom's '97 honda decided to dump a large amount of oil on the gravel, but at 330,000 miles, things happen. Called her and got her immediately to a repair shop (was down 3 quarts!). She's complicating this new car pick-up because of cataract surgery, which I'm driving her to.. Had her pre-surgery covid test.. negative, so i probably don't have it either. good!
Things always happen at once for me..
I don't know if it's too late, but did you consider an electric vehicle? No gas/fuel, no oil changes, etc.