South Lake Road Construction

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
Crash^2
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

South Lake Road Construction

Post by Crash^2 »

The USDA website originally estimated this work would be done July 25th but I haven't seen any updates confirming they've met that date. I keep calling the White Mountain Ranger Station but can't get through to anyone. Does anyone know if they're allowing overnight parking yet?

Here's the latest from the USDA website: https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/inyo/ale ... ?aid=56536
Crash^2
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: South Lake Road Construction

Post by Crash^2 »

I got a hold of the Inyo National Forest PAO Officer and was able to verify that overnight parking has been restored at the South Lake parking lot. However, they will be shutting it down again on Aug 17 for striping.
texan
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: South Lake Road Construction

Post by texan »

I was up at South Lake on 8/2 and road construction is far from over. They have a lot of work to do. The paving of the road hasn't even started. Also there are so many people up there, more than opening day of trout season for sure. I have been to the Sierras now for forty years and its the most crowded I have ever seen.

Texan
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: South Lake Road Construction Update

Post by maverick »

Inyo NF:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org