Speeding Kills Bears

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Speeding Kills Bears

Post by maverick »

Yosemite NP:
Help protect our bears by not speeding in the park.

In the last three weeks, at least four bears were hit by cars in Yosemite, at least two of which were killed. The two bears that survived were hit by drivers going faster than the 25 mph speed limit and were seriously injured and limping. We will never know the severity of their injuries. It is important to remember that while traveling in the park, the posted speed limits are not only there to protect people, but to also protect wildlife in areas where animals cross roads. Following posted speed limits may save the life of a great gray owl as it flies across the road, or a Pacific fisher as it runs across the road, both of which are endangered species. This easy action—slowing down—may also prevent you from hitting a bear eating berries on the side of the road, or a deer crossing with its fawn. While traveling through Yosemite, try to remember that we are all visitors in the home of countless animals, and it is up to you to follow the rules that are put in place to protect them.

Have you ever noticed the signs by the side of the road that say, “Speeding Kills Bears” with the image of a red bear on them? These signs mark the locations of bears where they have been hit by a vehicle this year, or where bears have been frequently hit in previous years. We take these signs down each winter and put them up as the accidents occur, hopefully as a reminder to visitors to slow down and keep a lookout for wildlife. If you do hit an animal while in Yosemite and need immediate ranger response, you can report it to the park’s emergency communication center at 209/379-1992, or by leaving a message on the Save-A-Bear Hotline at 209/372-0322 if you believe that the animal is uninjured. You may also use the Save-A-Bear Hotline number to report non-urgent bear observations. Find more information at http://keepbearswild.org/.
Read more of the Bear Team Blog at https://www.nps.gov/yose/blogs/bearteam.htm.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Speeding Kills Bears

Post by Jimr »

A couple of years ago I almost nailed a pretty big bear around midnight. I had been driving for 7 yours after a Friday workday heading to Dorst campground. 3 minutes before I was to hit the entrance, the bear bolted out of the down hill side of forest right in front of me, then quickly turned, galloping in my direction of travel. He then bolted into the forest on the up hill side. It all happened so fast. Fortunately, I was not speeding.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Speeding Kills Bears

Post by rlown »

speed doesn't matter. still takes out the radiator and more.. watched a deer jump over the front of my dad's Chevy one night.. Fun.

All the cars in the shop in Utah were Mule deer hits.. there was a herd on Highway 12 and we had to slow way down..