Traffis Alert SR 4, 88, 89, 395 Closed

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Traffis Alert SR 4, 88, 89, 395 Closed

Post by maverick »

Caltrans:
In the Sierra Nevada, State Routes 4, 88, 89 and 395 are closed due to the Tamarack Fire.

State Route 4 is now CLOSED from Ebbetts Pass to Route 89.

Route 89 remains CLOSED from the Route 88 junction at Woodfords to U.S. 395.

Route 88 remains CLOSED from Picketts Junction to the California/Nevada state line.
I
n District 9, Monitor Pass/Route 89 in Mono County is CLOSED, and U.S. 395 remains CLOSED at the junction of Route 89 to the Nevada state line.
Sonora Pass/Route 108 remains open as an alternate route over the Sierra Nevada.

There is no current timetable for the opening these roadways.

For the latest information on road closures, please visit the Caltrans QuickMap site at quickmap.dot.ca.gov or download the app to your smartphone. You can also call the Road Condition Hotline at 1-800-427-ROAD (7623).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Traffis Alert SR 4, 88, 89, 395 Closed

Post by TahoeJeff »

And in Nevada:
US-395 Road Closed Road Closed (Wildland Fire) - on US-395 in both directions near China Springs Road and SR-208 in Douglas County Nevada. Watch for emergency vehicles and personnel.
Current as of: 7/22/2021 5:43:51 AM PDT
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Mono Co Sheriff's Dept:
The spot fire east of Hwy 395 near Holbrook Junction has been growing rapidly, despite firefighters’ diligent efforts to contain it. Aerial resources estimated the spot at about 2,500 acres as of 4:10 p.m. Firefighters on the ground and aircraft continue to battle the growing spot under exceptionally difficult weather and fuel conditions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Unfortunately my world was just to the north of this picture, my house and much more is gone, have not been able to go in person yet as 395 is closed, but a firefighter friend sent me pictures, pretty much every tree and bush is gone on the whole of my acreage! I and my animals dogs, llama, sheep, goats, are safe at a friends place north of reno for now! chicken are probably fried chicken
Kristine
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Wow! That's pretty sad. Sorry for your loss. Glad you and the animals made it out safely.
shawnterustic
Topix Acquainted

Post by shawnterustic »

I am so sorry to hear that, Kristine. I'm glad that you were able to make it out with most of your animals.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

Really sorry to hear about your loss. We were in the backcountry south of there (Emigrant W) when we saw that fire blow up.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

So sorry Kristine.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Update 7/28

Post by maverick »

Caltrans:
*TRAFFIC ADVISORY*
TAMARACK FIRE ROAD OPENINGS
ON STATE ROUTES 4 AND 89
ALPINE COUNTY – The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) and the California Highway Patrol (CHP) reopened State Routes 4 and 89 in Alpine County to through-traffic only at 7:00 a.m. on Wednesday, July 28, 2021.
There will be no access to the United States Forest Service (USFS) lands.
Be advised firefighting work on the Tamarack Fire is still being done in many areas. Best to avoid the area, but if you must travel, use caution and reduce speeds on roadways as firefighting vehicles will also be sharing the road.
Additionally, utility companies will work to restore services and repair damaged equipment. These repairs may require road closures up to 2 hours and without notice. These repairs are scheduled from 10:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m., beginning Saturday, July 31, through Monday, August 2, 2021.
For updates, check quickmap.dot.ca.gov/ or @CaltransDist10 on Twitter. Download the Quickmap app to your smartphone or call the Road Condition Hotline at 1-800-427-ROAD (7623).
For the safety of workers and other motorists, please Be Work Zone Alert.