How To Post Photos & Where To Store Them

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
old and slow
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: How To Post Photos & Where To Store Them

Post by old and slow »

Hello all,
I'm trying to post a trip report and am having trouble posting photos. When I try to upload a photo as an attachment I get an error message reading "the file is too big, maximum allowed is 512 KiB" Note: I have photos saved in iphotos and on Picassa. Any suggestions? So, I guess in addition to being old and slow, I am also technologically challenged. Thanks!
Chris
old and slow
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by old and slow »

Never mind, I think I figured it out.....YouTube really does help sometimes!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Testing the forum software automatic downsizing on a difficult image to web display.
Original image size is 11,400 by 6200 pixels. Sharp edge to edge top to bottom.
2400x5305 pixels
img tags
rimg tags

1000x556 pixels
img tags
rimg tags
Asolthane
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Asolthane »

ERIC wrote:There is another option in addition to the directions above. You can attach your photos using the new attachment feature. Directions are here.
This link is dead.

I searched the forums but can't find instructions to post from Google Photos. If that is impossible, what do people who use Google Photos do?
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Yeah, I know. I really need to set aside some time to redo all of the support write-ups for photos.

The 'upload attachment' tab can be found below the posting window and 'submit' button and next to the 'options' tab. Click on it, click on the 'Choose File' button and select the photo you want. Typing in a 'File Comment' gives the photo a caption. After upload you have the option to place attachments "inline" wherever you want them to appear in your post, otherwise by default they will appear where you left your cursor in the posting window and will line up in the order uploaded. File size is restricted to 2MB or less and max 12 photos/attachments can be added to a single post.

Several people have had issues 'hotlinking' photos from Google. The issue is usually related to permissions. Just make sure that the "Share Options" of the album is "Anyone who has a link" and "Does not require sign-in". From what I've heard It doesn't look like google photos lets you choose sharing permission for individual photos, only entire albums. Once you've copied the true URL path of the Google image, insert it using the 'rimg' BBCode button just above the posting window.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
notis
Topix Regular

Post by notis »

Reviving an old thread that may have some new answers. I have a few TRs to post, but all of my photos are much larger than the 2MB limit. What's the best way to upload these so that they are still engrained in the TR as folks read along? Does Flickr still work well? Other suggestions?
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I generally just open the pics I have with paint and use the resize feature until I get the pic under the limit.
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Thanks, rlown. There are also some free online options out there that accomplish basically the same: https://www.google.com/#q=free+photo+file+size+reducer
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
notis
Topix Regular

Post by notis »

Thanks rlown and Eric. I'll use a simple resize and resave to my PC before upload if that's the easiest way. This will help me get some TRs up.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

You asked about Flickr.. I'll add this : http://blog.flickr.net/en/2013/12/18/flickr-web-embeds/

I'm not saying it works (flash issues), but there might be others here who use flickr to host pictures and have successfully posted (or elsewhere, share).

As I tend to take 200+ pics and cull them after trips and share maybe 10 per trip, I just upload them to HST. I share with these folks and not so much outside HST.