Annual HST Calendar

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Annual HST Calendar

Post by fishmonger »

ERIC wrote:More expensive than I was expecting. But those look really nice. Lots of options.
Yes, Bayphoto is expensive, but then you're dealing with one of the top of the line printers in the country. Adorama may be even more expensive. I thought Shutterfly would be cheap, but just got sticker shock ($34.50 for 12x12") while looking there.

All a matter of where you want to go with it. I am sure vistaprint will crank out 11x8 calendars below $12 a pop, but paper and colors won't be anywhere close to what you get at the quality outlets, but volume discounts really don't kick in until you work with offshore printers in China and order 1000 copies or more. Then stuff gets ridiculously cheap, however, your up front cost is rather huge.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

SirBC wrote: it cost around $15/calendar to mail them across the country
Well, you can have them printed one-off at BayPhoto and drop shipped directly to the customer (but $6 handling fee kills that for cheaper items). Or you could buy a big lot at discount and buy a box of envelopes at Costco, then send them as Media Mail at the post office. Excluding the cost of the envelope, that rate isn't bad, even for single items. Rates go by weight, no difference where you mail them to - cost per item by weight in pounds:

1# $2.61
2# $3.09
3# $3.57
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Bayphoto does quality work, have been dealing with them for years.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org