2016 Hike Photos

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

2016 Hike Photos

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I finally got around to adding maps to all the ones I have complete so far so now I feel like I can post them proper:

Week1
Week2
Week3
Week4
Week5
Week6
Week7

And for some random videos the first 15 or so on my YouTube are from the 2016 summer.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Re: 2016 Hike Photos

Post by wildhiker »

Thanks for posting these! So many beautiful places...
-Phil
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

About all I can say is just WOW!!. Awesome pictures and great adventure.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Been busy lately but finally here is Week 8
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Week 9

And here is a shot from AlpineMike from Week 5 showing how I am crazy enough to do this type of stuff with a full pack on! He and Dan went around this wall but it looked too fun not to for me!

RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Week 10

I didn't add a map to this week since it was such a large area. From the McGee Pass area to Lake Edison to Yosemite to Bishop Lake.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Week 11

I also corrected missing photos from week 10. The summit images from peak 12,238 and a few others were missing.

If only Mikhail and Derek had used a bit more friction climbing on North Pal they would have made it! :D

RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Week 12

And that concludes another amazing summer of hiking the Sierra. This will likely be the last longest hike I ever do. I am planning to try for 45 days this summer but life is changing for me (for the better) and this crazy journey of long trips is coming to a close. Doesn't mean I wont be enjoying it like normal people do every year though! =D
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

Great trip as always. I've followed along your uploads on Flickr, and will have to go back one more time. Always a great resource for planning my own adventures, although those are generally those normal people enjoy, as in "really brief." I've never been able to get away for more than 5 weeks and those summers were an absolute exception, enabled by a very understanding manager. Those days are long gone around here.

I hope your future doesn't come with supervisors who feel any vacation over 2 weeks is a complete absurdity and needs to be authorized 6 months in advance, and even then is at the supervisor's discretion. Here's an excerpt from our vacation policy overriding the entire university's much more liberal policy:

"NOTE: Extended vacation periods are not an expected practice within our department. If a specific request is granted, it does not mean that a similar request will be granted the following year. "

I have stockpiled more than 4 months of vacation and hope to take most of it at one time, as one single big summer in the mountains, inspired by your adventures. Maybe in 2-3 years, when the kids are out of college (can you believe they are already that old? You met them first when they were 11, that day on Pinchot in 2009, I think.
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by robow8 »

RoguePhotonic wrote:Week 12

And that concludes another amazing summer of hiking the Sierra. This will likely be the last longest hike I ever do. I am planning to try for 45 days this summer but life is changing for me (for the better) and this crazy journey of long trips is coming to a close. Doesn't mean I wont be enjoying it like normal people do every year though! =D
Chris,
While I will miss your long trip reports, it is excellent that things seem to be on the upswing.
Good luck with wherever that takes you.