McGee Canyon Sunset Fall Colors Extravaganza

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

McGee Canyon Sunset Fall Colors Extravaganza

Post by maverick »

On my recent Fall Colors trip, McGee Canyon was high on my list to visit. Those of you who have been fortunate to hike in to the basin above, and then on beyond McGee Pass, are well aware of the explosion of color the rock in this canyon has to offer (Red Slate and Red & White Mt.)., more so than anywhere else in the Sierra.

My photographic goal, was to use the in-coming storms clouds at sunset, getting an alpine glow that would balance off the color explosion of the Fall Colors in the mouth, and the golden treasure pot in the esophagus of the canyon.

Getting the right color and luminance was imperative for the success of this piece, to bright of a sky or colors would over power the piece, distracting from the main purpose of this piece, Fall Colors.

The clouds did not materialize till late, which had me further east looking at Owens Valley, when suddenly the clouds showed up, and immediately starting to turn light pink.
Jumped in my car, headed to the earlier scouted location, about 5 minutes up canyon, set up, and within 30 sec, got the light and conditions that I pre-visualized, and then it was gone as suddenly as it had appeared. This is one of the main reasons a photographer needs to pre-scout locations, so as the light changes, one can moved to a pre-determind location accordingly, otherwise precious seconds can be lost looking for a location, and in the worst scenario, a wonderful photo could be lost. :(

This one is another beautiful panorama, up to 36 x 72 (and larger), on aluminum, the colors are just sub-lime, not only the plants, but also the rock and sky, make this another special piece. Click on the piece to get a larger view, turn off all distracting light around your computer to take in the colors. :nod:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Buford
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: McGee Canyon Sunset Fall Colors Extravaganza

Post by Buford »

Great photo.

I checked out North Lake, South Lake and Rock Creek this year for fall colors. They did not disappoint.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Although harder to get to, those same amazing colors and crazy rock formations are around Constance Lake and Dorothy Lake. Not sure if going over Corridor Pass is suitable to carry camera gear, but you should check it out. I think you can come in easier from the Mammoth Lakes side, but not sure of that route. Corridor Pass is just north of Big McGee Lake.
1509-10_merge.jpg
1594_ALT_East shore Constance route.jpg
The line on the photo is the route I used to get around Constance Lake. I camped on the opposite side when I took this photo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yes, that area and up towards Parker Pass, has some interesting colors.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks Buford.
Yes, Bishop Creek Forks and Rock Creek was great this year. :nod: