Printing of landscape photos

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Printing of landscape photos

Post by oleander »

I'd like to print a landscape photo of the Sierras I took for a friend, frame it, and give it to her. Probably an 8x10.

It's been eons since I, uh, printed a photo! Where do I even go to print a good photo? I live in the Bay Area (East Bay). Willing to pay more for a higher quality photo. On the other hand, if you think regular outfits such as Walgreens do a good job, I can go that direction. Not a Costco member.

Thank you for any suggestions.

- Oleander
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Printing of landscape photos

Post by wildhiker »

I've gotten some good 8x10 enlargements at Walgreens, and they are pretty cheap. One tip: a photo that looks really good on the screen will almost always print too dark. Make a copy of the jpeg and use an editing program to lighten it before sending it to the printer.
-Phil
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

There is an easy solution to the problem of a photo looking one way on the screen and then printing out too dark. Calibrate your entire system!

I shot a special event one time. At home, I checked my photos and printed them out on my calibrated system. OK. Then I delivered a CDR with the files to my customer. The customer took the CDR to Walgreens for printing, and they printed out horribly, partly because they did not pay attention to color profiles. So I printed out a set of large prints and delivered it to the customer.

If you don't have a printer large enough to handle it, I recommend getting medium or large prints done by any one of the professional shops that cater to professional photographers. In fact, the best way is to send the file off to MPIX in Kansas and let them print it.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Bay Photo lab in Scotts Valley:

https://www.bayphoto.com/
SirBC
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by SirBC »

+1 for Bay Photo. I use them for my metal prints and they do a great job for a reasonable price. They also process and ship quickly. If you don't have a calibrated system they also offer a service where they will adjust the brightness and output sharpen it for you.
-------------
Dave | flickr
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

Oh, Bay Photo, right! I knew there was a reputable place somewhere in the Bay Area. I'd greatly prefer to support a small independent shop such as that. Thanks.
DexterSid
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by DexterSid »

oleander wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:34 pm Oh, Bay Photo, right! I knew there was these weight loss shakes are awesome and a reputable place somewhere in the Bay Area. I'd greatly prefer to support a small independent shop such as that. Thanks.
I was actually considering Bay Photo for curved metal prints. Did anyone use that service from them btw?
Last edited by DexterSid on Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Have been using them for years, highly recommended. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
tie
Topix Regular

Post by tie »

I don't recommend Walgreens. They are a definite step below Costco, quite noticeable. Costco is pretty good, probably good enough for most people. But if you want something framed, I do recommend spending a little more and going with Bay Photo or WHCC. You'll be able to tell the difference versus Costco, even if the recipient maybe won't.