how do you carry your camera?

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
westmatt
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

how do you carry your camera?

Post by westmatt »

I am going to bit the bullet and bring my micro 4/3 camera with me next month, that is, if I can figure out how to carry it. Just the camera and a short zoom, no extra lenses.

I was thinking of using either a Peak Designs clip, or a belt-carried small bag. Can anyone recommend one or the other, or suggest some alternate means of carrying a camera where it is accessible, safe, and not in the way while hiking with a full pack?

thanks
-Matt
wsp_scott
Topix Regular

Re: how do you carry your camera?

Post by wsp_scott »

Peak Designs clip on shoulder strap is great, last summer I carried a Sony A7ii and a 24-105 f/4 zoom (~2.7 lbs) and it worked great for 75 miles and +- 16000 feet elevation
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com
westmatt
Topix Acquainted

Post by westmatt »

Does the camera flop around or stay relatively static, and does it get old having that weight on one shoulder?
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

The kind of carrying container you use depends on your photography. For example, some people like to shoot all of the colorful flowers that they come upon ever minute or two. For that, you need some pouch or holster that is dangling in front of you... very handy. On the other hand, if you are the kind of person who studies the landscape, then figures out the best angle for some scenic panorama, it is quite different. You can afford to have the camera stuck away in your backpack.

Personally, I carry my compact superzoom Powershot in its dedicated pouch that is on a neck strap on my neck. Due to the strap length, it is never in my way, and it rides over my hip and waist.
Matthew
Topix Acquainted

Post by Matthew »

I have a Canon Rebel, which is pretty hefty and large, but has a tight fitting fabric case which helps with bumps etc. I simply hang it around my neck! I take lots of flower photos so it is nice to have it accessible. It does swing around a lot, but I have two ways in which I deal with it: 1) with one hand I use one hiking pole and rest my second hand on the camera, preventing it from swinging, this is now habit and I don't notice it any longer, 2) if I am using both hands (scrambling) I then use a length of paracord, tie a small loop knot at the end and a second knot a few inches away, by sliding the knot through the loop I have a fastener that holds camera strap to my backpack shoulder strap. The knot can be slipped through the loop for instant access to the camera.
You would think all this is cumbersome, but I no longer notice any inconvenience.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
phoenix2000
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by phoenix2000 »

My pack has 3 horizontal straps running on the front ride side of my hip belt. It makes it easy to run the velcro strap on the back of my camera case down thru 2 of the straps then secure the velcro. It keeps my camera snug against my hip belt where my camera is easy to get out or put back in. So far I've never had a problem with damaging my camera when I take my pack off and put it on the ground.

My problem is remembering to pull my camera out and take a shot instead of watching 2 bald eagles fly overhead or try to figure out why a fawn is running full speed up the trail at me while constantly looking over it's shoulder.
wsp_scott
Topix Regular

Post by wsp_scott »

westmatt wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:53 pm Does the camera flop around or stay relatively static, and does it get old having that weight on one shoulder?
It doesn't flop around, but it sometimes seems to shift at an angle if I haven't put the clip on the best position on the shoulder strap. It is easy to adjust and once it is in a good place it is very comfortable. I haven't had a problem with it always being on one shoulder, but again it is very easy to remove (30 seconds to loosen/adjust) so you could shift to the other shoulder if you wanted to.
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com
westmatt
Topix Acquainted

Post by westmatt »

thanks
cgreene
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by cgreene »

I always carry it in my caden camera sling bag. I find it easier to carry in a sling bag and the bag has enough pockets where I can place its accessories.