Big Wet Meadow/Whaleback photos?

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Big Wet Meadow/Whaleback photos?

Post by maverick »

Does anyone have some photos of the Whaleback from Big Wet Meadow taken either late Winter or early-mid Spring?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Re: Big Wet Meadow/Whaleback photos?

Post by copeg »

Not sure if this qualifies. Meta-data says June 2003, but I feel this trip was earlier than that (recall the signs of spring: high creeks, muddy trails, no mosquitos, and more bears than people)
100_0030.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks Greg, remember that photo from you gallery. :)
Looking for a photo with snow covering Big Wet Meadow.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
copeg

Post by copeg »

Good luck :) Most folks in that vicinity that time of year are skiing much higher up along the High Route and don't descend into that area.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yes, I know, but I can hope. :)

CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

KCHBR_6194.jpg
Around June 10, 2018. Snow gone in the valley, but it was indeed pretty damn wet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Sorry, Autumn image only for you... I will ski in there for a small fee. :nod:

100_0361.jpg
It was a near miss though Mav, the next day up valley, above Colby Lake, it looked like this. Snowed all night!

100_0287.jpg
Can't you just photo-shop some snow in? :unibrow:
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Can't you just photo-shop some snow in?
I'm good, but not that good Ian. :)
I will ski in there for a small fee.
If you did considered going, which trailhead would be your preference Ian?

Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Hey Mav, I just had a lot of fun on the map imagining the best routes: Ist choice would be Shepherd Pass to Milestone Creek, over by Milestone Peak, and down its Bowl, traverse to Colby Pass, down to Wet Meadow for the view, and then up Cunningham Creek, and over either Longley Pass, or Brewer Col, down East Creek, and back out over Kearsarge.
I am shying away from the std. Avalanche Pass-Sphinx Creek route due to the steepness off the final descent to Bubb's Creek. You could go that way if conditions are right, or if you're willing to rope your way down, down, down.

What sort of wildlife might one see there in the Spring? Coyotes, Bears, Gundersens? :D
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.