SIERRA INSPIRATION PHOTOTHON!

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: SIERRA INSPIRATION PHOTOTHON!

Post by fishmonger »

O. Mykiss wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:12 pm OK, thanks. That makes sense. I copied the URL from a website I created. I need to use a photo hosting site instead. Odd it looked fine on my computer
It works in Chrome on my Mac, it does not work in Safari.

Many things could be going on. Different browser may be smart enough to ditch the part of the URL that is obviously unnecessary and can only add complications. Some browsers may interpret it literally and then that is a clear 404 not found error.

Bottom line - the link syntax is the problem. You can clearly use that website to host the image, just clean up the link and use only what is needed in a URL to load an image from a plain web server following the format https://server/path/filename.extension and all is peachy.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

A couple of my favorites from my recent ski tour above Lake Sabrina, plus one from our first night in Alabama Hills.

100_3368.jpg
This is unnamed Peak ~12,800' and Mt Darwin.

100_3387.jpg
Here's a happy Bearzy on Blue Lake, with Mt. Emerson and Piute Crags in the back.

100_3301.jpg
Bearzy, with Lonepine Peak in the background.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
SirBC
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by SirBC »

The view from Olmstead Point in 2017 with recent fires giving rise to an interesting sky.
Dome.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-------------
Dave | flickr
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

SirBC, that is a stunning picture! I just clicked on it to view it full size, and to see if there might be a dog hidden in it, and even w/o dog, I think it is brilliant! I hope your photos are on people's walls.

And Fish, I just realized that the photo I put up just after your one from Lamarck Col has the same two mountains in it-- Mount Darwin and Peak 12,800. That is an interesting coincidence. I'll add one from my poor point and shoot-not to be expanded, but you will very likely find a dog in it.

316.JPG
Nope, that's Carleton at Vee Lake with water.

276.JPG
There's a dog! Smokey the mountain Malinois at the icy end of Vee Lake.
SirBC
Topix Regular

Post by SirBC »

Harlen wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 9:41 am SirBC, that is a stunning picture! I just clicked on it to view it full size, and to see if there might be a dog hidden in it, and even w/o dog, I think it is brilliant! I hope your photos are on people's walls.
Thanks Harlen :) If I could put my dog in every shot I take I would, she loves to pose :D She (Ripley) is a thick girl though and her wheelhouse is more sprinting than endurance and I fear she wouldn't do well at altitude. Our previous dog loved to hike and we took her up to Tahoe and the Sierra a number of times. She was a rescue who was found starving in the Sierra and we did, in the spirit of going full circle, spread some of her ashes at Ediza.

I do sell the occasional print, but my most recent print was of Ripley for my wife's birthday:
RipleyDog.jpg
Someone here on HST posted some Sierra photos with their dog wearing goggles, which I just loved and started following them on Flickr. I'm not sure if you follow them on Flickr but they have some great dog Sierra shots.
-------------
Dave | flickr
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Beautiful shot, beaut dog too. Congratulations on Ripley, and it's great that you rescued the former dog friend. Bearzy is a rescue too:

gemini trip 146.jpg
Royce Lakes, with Mount Humphreys in the distance.
Last edited by Harlen on Tue May 12, 2020 10:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
SirBC
Topix Regular

Post by SirBC »

Great shot and a great name for your four-legged friend :)
-------------
Dave | flickr
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Walking into the top of Bear Lakes Basin with an old friend.
bear-lakes-pano-MWR-SAH-xsmall.png
Cecille on a smokey morning.
cecille-adjusted-xsmall.png
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Hola Carne,

¡Tu foto de Cecile es fantástico!
Lizzie and I have been gazing at it and planning to return there, and then north to 1000 Island Lake via nice BC passes-- hopefully this summer?!
The combination of lit, and unlit mountains makes your shot really special. Gracias.