Balance

How do you prepare for the rigorous physical requirements of high elevation adventure? Strength and endurance are key, but are only part of a more complex equation. How do you prepare for changes in altitude, exposure, diet, etc.? How do you mentally prepare? Learn from others and share what you know about training in advance for outdoor adventures.
austex
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Balance

Post by austex »

Do you use bifocals? If so, do they mess up your balance?
Yes I do and the answer is yes! Cross a log? I take 'em off.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Let's see. I used regular glasses since the 3rd grade. Up at the shore of Puppet lk, I took off my regular glasses to tie a fishing knot and promptly stepped on them. Switched to my backup glasses (bifocals) only worn a few times because of spatial weirdness. You get used to them pretty quickly if you need them, but every step for the first day seemed to be off by 5" too short to the ground. An odd place to get used to new glasses.

Now, i swear by progressive lenses. I don't have to take them off to tie knots anymore.

As for balance, mine seems to be going, but only if I close my eyes. Makes time in the shower more dangerous.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Daisy I use progressives. A funny thing happened when I got my new prescriptions in December (actually not so funny) Picked my new glasses and the vision was bizarre. The only thing that was in focus was a tiny spot in the middle and my right eye was really messed up. they told me it takes time to get used to them and take them home and wear them for a couple of days. Well I tried but they literally made me sick wearing just an hour. So I returned them they checked them out and said they were ground wrong. Got the new ones back and they were only marginally better. Went to a different optometrist for a second opinion and she found the prescription for left lens to be close but slightly off and for the right lens to be way off. Took them back with the new prescription to have new lenses made and finally, on the third time they worked!

Also another good balance challenge is to put your socks on while standing on one leg at a time. Don't do this after having a few drinks!
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

"Also another good balance challenge is to put your socks on while standing on one leg at a time. Don't do this after having a few drinks!"

I do this all of the time, and I wear toe socks ;-)
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular

Post by Dave_Ayers »

Wandering Daisy wrote:...OR, do you use bifocals? If so, do they mess up your balance? I am having a horrible time adjusting - and I have had them five years! Balance is supposed to be inner ear ...
I can show you an inner ear/vision calibration drill the next time I see you (courtesy of the trainer/wifey). Maybe you'll find it useful.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Here's my yoga pose :D
IMG_5581.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Nice Jimmy. :D
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Dave Ayer

Just noticed your question. Didn't mean to ignore you. I wear progressives, Since 1991. Don't sense that they have impact on my balance.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Thanks OR. Maybe there still is hope for me with progressives. I never thought about the glasses being the problem, not me. I will go to a place that guarentees the work and give it a few more tries.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

I wear bifocals and yes some of them can really adversely affect your depth perception. I recently got a new prescription and I cannot use them hiking. I cannot tell where the top of the rocks are with them. Thankfully my old prescription does not cause this so I'm good for a few more years. I also tend to tap rocks to confirm their height. At 62 it's a small price to pay for getting out there.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.