Drop foot problem

How do you prepare for the rigorous physical requirements of high elevation adventure? Strength and endurance are key, but are only part of a more complex equation. How do you prepare for changes in altitude, exposure, diet, etc.? How do you mentally prepare? Learn from others and share what you know about training in advance for outdoor adventures.
Herm
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Drop foot problem

Post by Herm »

Sorry to hear this news Russ. I hope you can get yourself back in good form. Given the forest closures, it seems your trip might/would be cancelled anyway?
My wife and I had a car camping trip planned for June Lake next weekend, but we cancelled due to fires and forest closures. We miss the Sierra - it’s been 3 years now since our last visit.
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

It isn't better. I might be done. We'll see by next May. Gotta stop lifting heavy stuff, but on a ranch, you kind of have to do it.
Got a fence to do, A carport to put up. I'm trying to take it easy.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

A friend of mine and I were moving something very heavy. I ran into a sharp object with the outside of my left knee joint. The next day I had foot flop. My doc prescribed an MRI which was not approved by insurance. I was sent to a neurologist. After the visit, I look at neurologists as electricians for the body. He used probes and electrical current to troubleshoot the problem. It was an injured nerve. He told me it may never improve. It gradually came back and is now about 80% of what it was. When I walk a lot, the foot flop comes back. It is getting worse with age.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I'm still "walking it off." Twice a day in the back pasture. It was supposed to be an EMG, but they wanted to do an x-ray first. Idiots.

I need the MRI. The nerve in question comes out at the head of the tibia, so..
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Good luck. I hope it gets better. Usually it's best to keep active.