Burning calories Question

How do you prepare for the rigorous physical requirements of high elevation adventure? Strength and endurance are key, but are only part of a more complex equation. How do you prepare for changes in altitude, exposure, diet, etc.? How do you mentally prepare? Learn from others and share what you know about training in advance for outdoor adventures.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Burning calories Question

Post by oldranger »

So according to the formula Mav provided, I burned 600 extra calories today by hiking up the Butte and down 2 times. If I maintain my normal diet--fish at least 2x per week, totally meatless 2x per week and lots of fruits and veggies with no added sugar and limit my beer consumption to 1 per day except on Saturday and Sunday I should loose 1 lb per week. But as I lose weight my energy consumption will lessen and I'll have to exercise more or drink less beer to continue to lose weight. This sucks!
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

hmm. I lost 32 lbs since April. No appetite. Endoscopy on 12/12.. Mike, just get a job.. the stress will do it..
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

I'd better hit the Butte again before commencing to pig out!
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Consider hitting the gym Mike, not only will it strengthen your muscles, injury proof your joints, help with you balance, it will also improove you cariovascular system. Hiking, biking, and running are all great, but only burn calories for a few hours after you finish, as opposed to the 3 of days you get from pumping iron (by raising your metabolism), doing compound exercises like step-ups, squats, RDL's, dips, push-ups, pull-ups, not isolation exercises like bicep curls, leg extensions, or pec flyes, are your best time investment Mike. http://www.self.com/story/best-workout-fat-loss
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

100% chocolate ? Kinda bitter ?
Some more than others.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

oh I can't believe how much I ate this afternoon. Luckily we had thanksgiving at friends so no left overs!

Mav, you aren't telling me anything new but I was really focused on learning about calorie utilization when hiking up hill. Yeah the gym is an important part of my regime as is stretching/ yoga. Despite that I noticed a loss of strength this summer at the ends of my range of motion. So I guess I have to work harder to continue off trail travel at 70.
Mike

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Despite that I noticed a loss of strength this summer at the ends of my range of motion.
Please elaborate on this a little more Mike.

oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Easy! have a hard time getting my foot up on a 3 ft step up then lifting my body and 40 lb pack with one leg. If it wasn't for poles I'd be s.o.o.l! 30 years ago I could easily do without poles what is now barely doable with poles!
Mike

dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

oldranger wrote:... But as I lose weight my energy consumption will lessen and I'll have to exercise more or drink less beer to continue to lose weight. This sucks!
As your fitness improves so does your basal metabolism, which will partially offset the reduced calorie expenditure from weight loss. Do not focus simply on body weight if your are also gaining muscle mass by resistance exercise. Tracking body fat, not weight, gives you a better picture of your progress. Also, your optimum protein needs increase with age.
https://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/ ... calculator

If a gym is inconvenient, body weight exercises are also good. Those do not build large muscle mass or contribute much to power, but do increase the so-called muscle endurance (a somewhat inaccurate term, but commonly used). In most outdoor pursuits muscle endurance better serves you than hypertrophy or power.

If you want to add something to your Christmas list you can ask Santa for an inexpensive set of weights. A used basic no frill set should cost about a dollar per pound at a Play It Again Sports or similar. Who cares if the weights are dinged up a bit or have a few rust spots? Or go to a big box sporting goods store and buy a brand new set with chrome, colored vinyl coatings and a designer logo for several bucks per pound. I'm cheap. I buy used. Don't forget to use workout gloves. The ladies in our lives prefer our hands not be calloused claws. :unibrow:

OTOH the various military special forces specifically recommend AGAINST iron weights for potential applicants. Their data shows applicants that prepare for SF training by using body weight workouts have better PT scores and fewer injuries (and higher completion rates) than those that prepare by pushing iron.

My basic workout is primarily body weight supplemented with free weights on some trouble spots after I finish the body weight routine. Bike riding or treadmill for cardio. Bad knees, so I do not run anymore. Save my knees for hiking. For some reason the treadmill does not bother me, just running.

Lots of smart phone apps for tracking workouts. I use these http://www.rittr.com/ because I am used to them, but others work as well. I like phone apps and body weight workouts because I can continue doing them while traveling.

Track your diet for a week or two using the USDA Supertracker website. A big PITA to track everything you put in your mouth but very worthwhile. 2 or three days is not long enough to get a good snapshot of your daily intakes. Need at least a week. You can keep going every day for as long as you want, but that is a lot of bother. I do two weeks every few months. At the end of the recording period print out the reports and you can see your average daily macro- and micro-nutrient consumption in detail. Use the reports to make the adjustments in your daily eating. You are probably eating better then you think you are and only some minor adjustments need be made. (well, except for the holiday parties and big meals with all the goodies that happen this time of the year).

Of course, age takes its toll. As you age you naturally do not drop body fat or gain muscle mass as you used to (or heal). Us old farts have to work twice as hard to see half the gains the young lads do. But we do what we must to keep the grim reaper at bay and continue enjoying our preferred recreation.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
punchcard
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by punchcard »

I use an estimate of 300 cals per hour hiking. Works for me. Add or subtract if your intensity is super high or low.