Do you ever go out when slightly sick?

How do you prepare for the rigorous physical requirements of high elevation adventure? Strength and endurance are key, but are only part of a more complex equation. How do you prepare for changes in altitude, exposure, diet, etc.? How do you mentally prepare? Learn from others and share what you know about training in advance for outdoor adventures.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Do you ever go out when slightly sick?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Life had gotten in the way of my summer backpack plans this year. I was going to do a South Lake - North Lake via Ionian Baisin trip after my trip from Horseshoe Meadow to Whitney Portal. My husband came down to pick me up and could have helped with transportation. All packed up too. Sadly, but not totally unexpected, my nearly100-year old mother died, so I came home and have been thick in arranging a memorial 800 miles from home. I now have a brief period I could do another 8-day trip. I woke up with a head cold a few days ago, and although not horribly sick, I definitely have a cold and a bit of a cough. Am I stupid to still go? I figure I can just as well be sick hiking as sitting around home, take the same OTC meds. Maybe cut back on the miles a bit and do a more base camping and fishing. This is my last chance for backpacking this year, I am babysitting grandkids end of Sept-mid Oct.

What would you do?
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Do you ever go out when slightly sick?

Post by c9h13no3 »

Depends on what you mean by slightly sick. If I feel terrible, I’d rather lay on the couch and watch the Price is right. But if you’re active, just take it easy and don’t get too far out in case it turns worse.

And hydrate!
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

For me, sometimes walking helps when sick. I like the Price is Right solution if I feel really really crappy.

If it is just a cold, and you know how your body performs as such, go.
If it is the onset of flu, I wouldn't go.

Have you hiked with a slight cold before?
mort
Topix Regular

Post by mort »

Hi Wandering Daisy,
My condolences on losing your mother. 100 years is a good long time. The things she had seen in her life!

It has been years since I hiked with a cold. We went in over Kearsarge. What I remember is how much less energy I had. Very slow and feeling tired. The first day, sunny parts of the trail were super sweaty, miserable. And then right on the pass it clouded up and hailed. That was miserably cold. We all were coughing and sniffing that night at the highest Kearsarge Lake. In the morning we all agreed that being sick in the Sierras was better than being sick at home. We took a planned layover day at 11,394 in the Gardiner Basin, and generally had long, slow days with extended lunch breaks.
We all survived.
-mort
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

When I catch a cold that is rare, I'm too miserable to want to do anything but vegetate at home. Sure I've been in the outdoors a few time over decades where a cold arose just as I got out on a trip and endured reluctantly. I've never taken any medicines for colds since age 20 (like decongestants, cough syrup, etc) so my symptoms tend to be stronger. And note when I do, I almost always am able to avoid a lingering cough or chest infection.

Adults and teen agers average 2 to 4 head colds per year. Young children average 6 to 8 per year. Over the last 3 decades I've probably averaged one head cold every 2 or 3 years. I greatly dislike catching colds and know how to avoid them even though I worked for decades in offices and labs with lots of other people that during cold and flu season often had many in the same room that would be at work sick spreading their sickness. Since school is now starting, cooler fall is approaching, and so will an increase in head colds, I'll provide a link below. I start to catch colds just as easily as others, however one can knock out a rhinovirus infection at a very early point by making one's key respiratory passages too warm for viruses to multiple within.

http://www.davidsenesac.com/Information ... ruses.html
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Would not recommend going, your immune system is already fighting off the cold, physical exertion will put even more strain on it, and your emotional strain is putting even more stress on it, which could turn it into something even more serious.
Wait a week or two, allow your body to recover from the cold and the emotional stress that your experiencing, the Sierra will still be there.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I actually used to go out and split wood when I got a cold. Get's stuff moving in the system and it worked for me.
Reduced the length of the cold.

Now, if I had a fever and chills, I would hole up and just rest.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

That works in some cases Russ, if one has a light head cold, and you have a strong immune system, and possibly are younger.😀
Once it migrates to your respiratory system, forget it, your asking for an serious infection, which will take even longer to recover from.
WD having a cold, and then add in the grief of her mother passing, has most likely stressed her immune system, the physical intensity of backpacking, and at elevation, could make things much worse.
Plus a cold messes with you ability to make quick decisions, can throw of your balance, make breathing difficult, not things you want to be dealing with climbing up/down a steep scree field or boulder hopping down from a pass.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I haven't had a cold in years, but that is probably because I avoid sick people and never touch my hands to any part of my body, especially the face, until I get home from shopping, etc. That little touch pad at the grocery store and the shopping carts are the worst. Have hand sanitizer in the truck for such runs.

Sorry for WD's loss as well.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

rlown wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:20 am That little touch pad at the grocery store and the shopping carts are the worst.
I've never used the little touch pad, and I haven't used a shopping cart in about five years. I never seem to get sick.