History repeats itself

How do you prepare for the rigorous physical requirements of high elevation adventure? Strength and endurance are key, but are only part of a more complex equation. How do you prepare for changes in altitude, exposure, diet, etc.? How do you mentally prepare? Learn from others and share what you know about training in advance for outdoor adventures.
John Harper
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: History repeats itself

Post by John Harper »

oldranger wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:22 pm Kind of became addicted to tortillas and wheat thins in the last year, and need to cut that out.
I stopped eating chips and salsa daily and dropped 5 pounds.

John
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Mike,

How is the new diet working out for you?
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

rlown wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:40 am Mike,

How is the new diet working out for you?
Officially down 10 lbs from mid January!
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

=D> Glad to hear.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Congratulations Mike!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Mike. Glad you got through this, again. Thanks for posting, too, because it serves as an important lesson for folks like me who are approaching the age of your first "incident". Whereas the health issue itself is sobering, it is good to see you bounce back. Sad to hear about the reduction in beers per week though.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

giantbrookie wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:25 pm Mike. Glad you got through this, again. Thanks for posting, too, because it serves as an important lesson for folks like me who are approaching the age of your first "incident". Whereas the health issue itself is sobering, it is good to see you bounce back. Sad to hear about the reduction in beers per week though.
As soon as I lose 3 more lbs I'll get back to 5 a week but that will leave me with just a 6 week supply before I have to restock!
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Love the Sierra »

I second your thoughts, do not ignore your body! Check things out ASAP!
I have had lifelong asthma, many rounds of bronchitis and pneumonia and in 2013, got an allergic lung condition that reacts just like pneumonia. I went religiously for my physicals and visits with the pulmonary doc and kept it all sort of under control.
Then, late 2019 my dog got epilepsy and we had SO MANY VET APPOINTEMNTS, Covid and work , etc. etc. I missed two years of physicals.
In 2021, I tried to get back to normal life and I could not believe it, suddenly 8400’ felt like 10000’!
In short, now I have permanent lung damage and, yes indeed, acclimation is slower and I am out of breath even at sea level.