Getting back in shape after a full season layoff

How do you prepare for the rigorous physical requirements of high elevation adventure? Strength and endurance are key, but are only part of a more complex equation. How do you prepare for changes in altitude, exposure, diet, etc.? How do you mentally prepare? Learn from others and share what you know about training in advance for outdoor adventures.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Getting back in shape after a full season layoff

Post by MountainMinstrel »

I am very pleased to announce that I was able to take a two night backpack into Emigrant Wilderness 7/20-22. It was a very short trip but considering that I year ago I couldn't do a 2 mile dayhike, this is the most awesome trip I have ever taken...I'm still in the game. I have a ways to go to be in good shape but I can at least get out there!

Feeling very Blessed.

P.S. I'll put up a trip report soon :D
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

I am very pleased to announce that I was able to take a two night backpack into Emigrant Wilderness 7/20-22. It was a very short trip but considering that I year ago I couldn't do a 2 mile dayhike, this is the most awesome trip I have ever taken...I'm still in the game. I have a ways to go to be in good shape but I can at least get out there!
:thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by MountainMinstrel »

I just realized that I have not posted up that TR...I'll work on that. However, I have a permit to hike from Mono/Parker to Cottonwood lakes via Miter Basin and Langley on July 7 and am well on my way to getting in shape I'm up to 22# and going 5-8 miles a day with 300-1100 of elevation. My body is slowly remembering how to this and, to quote "Chicago", I'm feeling stronger every day. plan to be up to 50# by mid June which should make my 42# (typical packout for 7 days) feel like I'm naked by July.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.