Another Broken Toe Thread...

How do you prepare for the rigorous physical requirements of high elevation adventure? Strength and endurance are key, but are only part of a more complex equation. How do you prepare for changes in altitude, exposure, diet, etc.? How do you mentally prepare? Learn from others and share what you know about training in advance for outdoor adventures.
User avatar
rayfound
Topix Expert
Posts: 410
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:44 pm
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker
Contact:

Another Broken Toe Thread...

Post by rayfound » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:00 am

So during a family RV trip to rock creek canyon (Stayed at East Fork campground), I loaded my fishing gear and camp chairs into the pass-through storage of the trailer in preparation for leaving. When I went and unlatched the door on the opposite side, the ballmount/weght distribution hitch head (about 50 lbs) fell and crushed my big toe, resulting in what i found out the following day was a "displaced fracture of the Distal phalanx on the great toe". Care was mainly relief of swelling/pressure below nail, and advice to "take it easy, manage to your pain, come back to check in 4 weeks".
Image

That said... it is SUMMER... and I am trying to figure out what my prospects are for late season hiking etc... ? has anyone had a similar injury? 8 days on, the pain is still intermittently fairly significant (though the constant pain is WAY less than before the nail-pressure was released). Podiatrist seemed hesitant to commit to "all better" in 6 weeks but did say "significant improvement".

Even if backpacking is out, I am kind of wondering what I should be preparing myself for in terms of camping/dayhikes with kids the remainder of summer and early fall.

Cheers,








User avatar
Harlen
Topix Fanatic
Posts: 1063
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:13 am
Experience: Level 4 Explorer
Location: California

Re: Another Broken Toe Thread...

Post by Harlen » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:15 am

Well I've done things like it, but not so severe. I have the perversity to ask-- did it hurt a lot when it happened? Did you hop about and cuss? Did you use the lord's name in vain? Sorry.

User avatar
c9h13no3
Topix Expert
Posts: 721
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:19 pm
Experience: Level 1 Hiker
Location: San Mateo, CA

Re: Another Broken Toe Thread...

Post by c9h13no3 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:55 am

Yeah, I've never gotten an x-ray on what I suspect is a toe injury. I messed mine up in late April, took a month off from running & hiking (biked and skied just fine though), and I'm pretty good now. Still hurts, but manageable with ibuprofen. Course, it could have been a sprain of one of the toe joints.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.

User avatar
rayfound
Topix Expert
Posts: 410
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:44 pm
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker
Contact:

Re: Another Broken Toe Thread...

Post by rayfound » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:14 pm

Harlen wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:15 am
Well I've done things like it, but not so severe. I have the perversity to ask-- did it hurt a lot when it happened? Did you hop about and cuss? Did you use the lord's name in vain? Sorry.
Probably everyone between mammoth and bishop could hear profanities in the moments immediately after. and within about 30 seconds I was nauseated from pain.

User avatar
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Posts: 1666
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:07 pm
Experience: Level 4 Explorer
Contact:

Re: Another Broken Toe Thread...

Post by windknot » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:45 am

Yikes, sorry to hear about the injury Ray. Best wishes for a speedy recovery in time to get some kind of outdoors activity in this fall.

Not to pile on with the perverse questions, but what happens with this kind of fracture? Do the displaced bone chips just eventually work their way out? Or do they stay there floating?

User avatar
rayfound
Topix Expert
Posts: 410
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:44 pm
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker
Contact:

Re: Another Broken Toe Thread...

Post by rayfound » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:14 am

windknot wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:45 am
Yikes, sorry to hear about the injury Ray. Best wishes for a speedy recovery in time to get some kind of outdoors activity in this fall.

Not to pile on with the perverse questions, but what happens with this kind of fracture? Do the displaced bone chips just eventually work their way out? Or do they stay there floating?
Podiatrist said there's 3 things that can happen, first two are basically fine.

1. They migrate close enough to rejoin and heal.
2. They remain displaced but end up encased/locked in some type of scar tissue.
3. They remain displaced and can move around causing irritation and pain. Remedy here is surgical extraction.

User avatar
rlown
Topix Docent
Posts: 7701
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:00 pm
Experience: Level 4 Explorer
Location: Wilton, CA

Re: Another Broken Toe Thread...

Post by rlown » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:07 am

#3 sounds like a season killer..

My biggest fear is foot damage just before a backpacking trip. I've hit the pinky toe before a trip and it didn't make it fun.
Good luck with your recovery..

User avatar
rayfound
Topix Expert
Posts: 410
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:44 pm
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker
Contact:

Re: Another Broken Toe Thread...

Post by rayfound » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:26 pm

rayfound wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:14 am
windknot wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:45 am
Yikes, sorry to hear about the injury Ray. Best wishes for a speedy recovery in time to get some kind of outdoors activity in this fall.

Not to pile on with the perverse questions, but what happens with this kind of fracture? Do the displaced bone chips just eventually work their way out? Or do they stay there floating?
Podiatrist said there's 3 things that can happen, first two are basically fine.

1. They migrate close enough to rejoin and heal.
2. They remain displaced but end up encased/locked in some type of scar tissue.
3. They remain displaced and can move around causing irritation and pain. Remedy here is surgical extraction.
for those interested, had follow up today, re-xrayed. Looks exactly the same. so with regards to the possible outcomes, Door #1 is closed.

Will see in 3-4 months if discomfort is gone we can assume a scar tissue encasement has formed and I'm "good". if I continue to experience discomfort, we'll evaluate surgery.

User avatar
rlown
Topix Docent
Posts: 7701
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:00 pm
Experience: Level 4 Explorer
Location: Wilton, CA

Re: Another Broken Toe Thread...

Post by rlown » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:09 am

good luck! hope for the best..

User avatar
Cycleboy
Topix Acquainted
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:31 pm
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Another Broken Toe Thread...

Post by Cycleboy » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:20 pm

Ouch! I’ve broken pinky toes literally at least a dozen times each (big feet, far from brain is what I tell my wife), but nothing that bad.

My sob story this year is a broken ankle on Mother’s Day and haven’t hiked a foot since then. Hoping to start this week. Likely no pack trip this year.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests