A good prescription from a doctor.

How do you prepare for the rigorous physical requirements of high elevation adventure? Strength and endurance are key, but are only part of a more complex equation. How do you prepare for changes in altitude, exposure, diet, etc.? How do you mentally prepare? Learn from others and share what you know about training in advance for outdoor adventures.
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

A good prescription from a doctor.

Post by dave54 »

Annual physical today, and the doc looked over my blood lipids panel.
He said my HDL and LDL numbers were not good.
We discussed options, and he said get out and walk more, and eat more fish for a start, and see if that helps your numbers.

So there we have it. The doc ordered me to do more backcountry fishing. Wife no longer can object to my trips -- doctors orders!

Gee, honey, I would love to go clothes shopping with you, but the doctor ordered me to backpack to a wilderness lake...

:)
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: A good prescription from a doctor.

Post by rlown »

:thumbsup:
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

I have been pushing the diabetic numbers every year for a while now. I found out that a week in the mountains eating dehydrated food and walking my butt off puts me well into the normal range. I figure it's problem solved but my wife doesn't appreciated my methods so much.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

When backpacking, I generally manage to drop one pound per day for every day away from home. Now, half of that is simple dehydration, so that comes right back one I am drinking more fluids. Still, I'll see several pounds of reduction.

I used to have moderately high total cholesterol (too much bad cholesterol and too little good cholesterol). Then that got corrected. Statin drugs reduced the bad stuff, and the good stuff was improved with more olive oil and fish oil supplements in my diet. Now my total cholesterol is at the low end of normal.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

My understanding is that a lot of it is genetic- some people are able to control with diet and exercise, others not so much. Let's hope you are in the group that diet/exercise works. And even if it does not, you have a good excuse for more backpacking. Just keep the saturated fats down in your back food; nuts, olive oil, seeds-good; bacon, sausage, cheese-not so much. I have a friend who brings a half liter of extra virgin olive oil and drinks right out of the bottle.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Really not sure the impact of cholesterol. Mine is incredibly low. But I have 4 stents. My wife has really high cholesterol but no issues! As Daisy and my docs say--genetics!
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!