Slackline

How do you prepare for the rigorous physical requirements of high elevation adventure? Strength and endurance are key, but are only part of a more complex equation. How do you prepare for changes in altitude, exposure, diet, etc.? How do you mentally prepare? Learn from others and share what you know about training in advance for outdoor adventures.
Fishstick
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Slackline

Post by Fishstick »

Talus hopping has always been one of my dreads in the high country. Friends with better balance than me seem to glide from rock to to rock top while I slowly work my way over and around looking like I'm playing Twister. I stumbled upon some help though. At a recent family camp out, my brother-in-law brought along a "Slackline". It is nothing more than a heavy ratcheting truckers strap with loops on both ends to stretch between two trees about a foot off the ground. Wala, instant tight rope. With no other aspirations than fun, I spent 10 or 15 minutes each day of camp trying to master this 25 foot long tight rope walk. Some improvement ensued but I never masterd it. Forward two weeks, I am navigating a field of Volkswagen sized talus on Darwin Bench and Holy Cow, what a difference in balance and confidence the Slackline made. They are made by Gibbon and rather pricey ($75 starting) but sure provide good talus conditioning and core strength to boot.
bluefintu
Topix Regular

Re: Slackline

Post by bluefintu »

Thanks Fishstick, that is something I will do for my scouts and also for some of my friends, I think that will help them move along a little faster.
chrisdiercks
Topix Acquainted

Re: Slackline

Post by chrisdiercks »

The younger the better with balance based activities. It's great general training, just keep it fun. I'm 55 and I think the slack line is fun and keeps me lighter on my feet. just like surfing improved my horseback riding, slack lining improved my rockcraft.