Clicking twice to get site to respond

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Clicking twice to get site to respond

Post by fishmonger »

Not sure how to narrow this down, but I have seen this on multiple computers now (usually IE10) - I click on a subject and the hour glass goes spinning and I don't get to the thread or post. If I then click it again, it immediately moves me there. It does this mostly on thread titles or pages links. Going to other forums like this one works with one click.

This has been going on for the last couple of days
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Re: Clicking twice to get site to respond

Post by ERIC »

fishmonger wrote:Not sure how to narrow this down, but I have seen this on multiple computers now (usually IE10) - I click on a subject and the hour glass goes spinning and I don't get to the thread or post. If I then click it again, it immediately moves me there. It does this mostly on thread titles or pages links. Going to other forums like this one works with one click.

This has been going on for the last couple of days
Sorry for the late response. I've been waiting to see if anyone else was going to chime in with the same problem. If someone does, then that's usually a clear cut situation of a broader issue. In this case, I'm not really sure how to track down your issue. No changes have been made to the site in months, let alone days. There were a couple of brief instances where some server changes were being carried out by our hosting company which includes some minor down times, but other than that, the only sources of your issue I can think of would be either your ISP or security software?
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

I'll try to track it some more to get some better sense for what and where. I doubt it is ISP related. Maybe the forum is running some ad trackers? I am blocking those by default, most of them at the network stack level (system hosts file). Thing is, what I am doing to block them works fine on sites like Newegg that run about 15 trackers on each page, so I don't think it would cause this odd behavior.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

there is a lot more waiting up front now for affiresources and googleapi ad software, but maybe your security sw is spinning on it. I'm not on IE; Chrome. Not saying that's the problem. I doubt it's your ISP as well.

I've seen some weird adsense behavior like it tries to download a file to my PC. I can't say it's related to this problem because i cancel it's attempt.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

rlown wrote:there is a lot more waiting up front now for affiresources and googleapi ad software, but maybe your security sw is spinning on it. I'm not on IE; Chrome. Not saying that's the problem. I doubt it's your ISP as well.

I've seen some weird adsense behavior like it tries to download a file to my PC. I can't say it's related to this problem because i cancel it's attempt.
if you use anything other than obscure trackers or ad sources, my Do Not Track Me add on doesn't even do anything, since about 1500 domains doing those things are filtered directly by my network stack - they do not exists as far as my browser is concerned and are sent to 127.0.0.1 before any software bothers to do anything with these links.

Your REI ads are showing, so they are sourced from more direct links and don't bother me at all, but if there's doubleclick and google ads and other crap, that doesn't even get to my browsers and no software or plugin even gets triggered.

Thing is - the behavior is not consistent. For example, today, I have no problems opening this thread every time I click on it. When I had the problem, I am quite sure I also had it with Chrome. Again - will track from here and take some notes should it happen again.