New Updated Search & Rescue HST ReConn Form 2.0

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: New Updated Search & Rescue HST ReConn Form 2.0

Post by rlown »

you actually almost have the capability of including the map jpeg in your form. The "add your own picture" over the thinker in the upper right let me overlay my own pic which could be a map. I tested it with a 2.25Mb file of lures :o . But it's best if the map is full sized letter page and on the second or third page as an attachment.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Rlown wrote:
I tested it with a 2.25Mb file of lures.
I'm hooked Russ (pun intended). :p
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Update 11/5/13

The "Create" button at the bottom of the page has been removed. It allowed one
to create a passcode access number for each individual form, which then in turn
would give the person some security. This also put that information onto a server
and something we did not feel comfortable with due to security and liability reasons.
An "upload map" has been added which will allow a map to be printed on its own
page so to avoid partial prints of maps.
"Cookies" are being added so you will not have to type in repetitive information, and
the "thinker"photo will be swapped out for simpler "click here to add photo".

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

I just tried the new form and it is much better. It allowed me to save it and include a map. The one minor glitch was that when I called up the file I had saved and made a couple of changes, it defaulted to file name the "ReConn Trip Record - Create Trip.htm" instead of the new file name of "ReConn Trip Record - Create Trip-LB.htm". So I had to rename the file again in order to save it. I think this would be pretty easy to fix so it defaults to the saved file name instead of the generic file name.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I think the ability to upload a couple of pics in the equipment section would be good. It would be nice to be able to attach a pic of what the fully loaded pack looks like and perhaps another of a closeup of your boot soles. Last year, the SAR folks asked my wife if she had a picture of my boot soles.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Lawrence wrote:
So I had to rename the file again in order to save it.
That my web designer says is a minor inconvenience we will have to live with.
Jimr wrote:
I think the ability to upload a couple of pics in the equipment section would be good.
It would be nice to be able to attach a pic of what the fully loaded pack looks like
and perhaps another of a closeup of your boot soles. Last year, the SAR folks asked
my wife if she had a picture of my boot soles.
Jim, thanks for input/idea, those are already in the works. There will be one upload
file button for your equipment photo (one photo in which you add a photo of your
current equipment laid out, and tent setup), and one for shoe/boot sole print upload
added soon at the bottom of the Form.

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

All of the profile data including photo now gets stored to the user's computer when
they hit print (the photo gets stored whenever it's updated).

BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

This is really cool, but I must be missing something really basic: how do I save it, so I can enter a profile and use it over and over for each trip?
—B²
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

I'd like to preface this by saying I use a Windows computer. I'm not sure this works on a Mac.

This is how I do it. I save the file and double-click on it. It comes up in Firefox (since it's an HTML file). I fill in the basic information (name, emergency contacts, etc.) and save it as "ReConn Trip Record - Create Trip-Template.htm". Then for a particular trip, add the particular pertinent information and save it under a new name such as "ReConn Trip Record - Create Trip-JMT.htm". The only glitch seems to be that you have to be sure that when you back in the file that is for a particular trip you make sure it is save under the correct name.

I hope that helps, BSquared.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

The "save" behavior seems to be a little strange, at least on my system.

I hadn't saved the form last night when I made my post (above). This morning I decided to try saving it on my own, as LMBSG recommended, so I clicked on the link in Mavrick's original post, expecting to start again. I was surprised and delighted to see that the information I had typed in last night as a test was still there (from cookies?), so I continued entering more stuff. However, when I saved it and then opened the saved version, only the material that I had typed in this morning, not the material that had been filled in for me, came up. This doesn't seem like the best behavior to me, but maybe I'm doing something peculiar. As LMBSG noted, I'm using a Mac (10.8.5) and Firefox (25).
—B²